What's new

World War II Japanese Good Luck Flag

Vamandrac

Registered
Possible to get a picture of the other side? This is the reverse side.
This is the only picture I have as of right now. I'm in talks with someone about purchasing it. I will see if I can get a reverse picture.

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
I have some doubt if it's written by the one(s) who really knew kanji. There are many mistakes Japanese/Chinese people would never do in the kanji written there, as if someone who was not familiar with kanji copied names/phrases from examples.

Vamandrac

Registered
I know these flags were very popular war trophies and fakes were made quite often which is why I am very weary of picking one up. The guy has several others posted up, but again I have little or no background on them other than a picture.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
The first one is a terribly made fake. The second one is highly doubtful. If I were you, I wouldn't trust him.

Lothor

Sempai
Donor
Ratings
The first one is a terribly made fake. The second one is highly doubtful. If I were you, I wouldn't trust him.
How can you tell the first one is a terribly made fake? I've got no knowledge of what you would expect to see on such a flag but am familiar with most everyday kanji, so am genuinely curious rather than sceptical of your judgement.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
How can you tell the first one is a terribly made fake? I've got no knowledge of what you would expect to see on such a flag but am familiar with most everyday kanji, so am genuinely curious rather than sceptical of your judgement.
Probably the easiest to spot is the 口 in 山口. Obviously written by somebody with no idea of stroke order.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Ratings
2 1,539
One of the most obvious example is a four-character idiom written in the middle left (the upside-down one). Other than the extraordinary position of the four kanji, 武運(luck in battle)長("length" or "merits and demerits" ) doesn't make sense at all. It should be 武運長(eternity), i.e., eternal good luck in battle. The rest three slogans don't make sense, either. The names of the units/corps, as well.