What's new

Work full time while in the mext program

osaq

Registered
12 Feb 2016
I have read that it was possible to work part time during the mext program, does anyone knows if it is possible to work full time while on the mext program legally and physically(if there is time to work around 8 hours and study)

No, you can't do a full degree program and work full time. I very much doubt you legally can on the visa they give you, but more importantly you simply wouldn't have time or energy. I mean, at minimum a 7 hour work day (assuming 0 overtime, quite an assumption), and then, what, at least 3-4 hours studying? Missing all your daytime lectures/seminars? Keep that up and you'll go mad. Especially in a foreign country where you have all sorts of unexpected extra difficulties.

I would say my masters so far has been pretty laid-back and (relatively for a physics degree...) not that demanding, but I still would barely be able to work part-time. If you're doing a PhD I'd say forget about working even part-time if it's more than 5-10 hours a week. Maaaaybe in the "research student" phase you could get away with it, depending what your supervisor thinks of it, whether he wants you to get down to the real work right away or not.

Student visa has a limit set on the hours set somewhere in the (low-)20s. Also: permission is granted to work those 20 or so hours on the condition that your university agrees your academic performance is up to snuff.

Student visa has a limit set on the hours set somewhere in the (low-)20s. Also: permission is granted to work those 20 or so hours on the condition that your university agrees your academic performance is up to snuff.
it took a month to get mine, work status definitely worth it in case one day your talking to a government official and you let it slip or you accindetly put it on your cv ....some immigration officials are always ready and waiting to kick you out of JP

Back
Top Bottom