What's new

Help Wifi In Japan

Ecko

Registered
4 Jul 2017
Hey!

I am probably a normal teen, who can't live without wifi. My family are going to japan in a couple months and I was wondering about wifi in japan. Is there like a free wifi hotstop everywhere in Japan? Is there a wifi model I can but at the airport and carry it with me around Japan?

Thanks

if you want your own hotspot I recommend setting that up before you go. I don't know if there are many options if you wait until you arrive. Here's a post about my most recent experience renting through Global Advanced Communications: Data and phones | Japan Forum

7-11 and some other convenience stores offer free wifi. Starbucks as well, though it might need a little setting up. I'm not sure if McDonalds does but I would think so.

One time I flew in, there was a free wifi hotspot service for tourists that required you to download an app. It was clunky and I never got it working properly, despite having an attendant help me set it up. I would connect but I couldn't actually use the data. Fortunately I didn't really need it. This article covers that and some other options: Internet Access in Japan

All that being said... you're a teenager going on vacation to Japan. Get your nose out of your phone and pay attention to your surroundings. See it not only as a vacation from your home country, but take a little break from technology as well. Use it to keep in touch with people but don't waste too much time playing games on it, or you might miss out on the experience.

if you want your own hotspot I recommend setting that up before you go. I don't know if there are many options if you wait until you arrive. Here's a post about my most recent experience renting through Global Advanced Communications: Data and phones | Japan Forum

7-11 and some other convenience stores offer free wifi. Starbucks as well, though it might need a little setting up. I'm not sure if McDonalds does but I would think so.

One time I flew in, there was a free wifi hotspot service for tourists that required you to download an app. It was clunky and I never got it working properly, despite having an attendant help me set it up. I would connect but I couldn't actually use the data. Fortunately I didn't really need it. This article covers that and some other options: Internet Access in Japan

All that being said... you're a teenager going on vacation to Japan. Get your nose out of your phone and pay attention to your surroundings. See it not only as a vacation from your home country, but take a little break from technology as well. Use it to keep in touch with people but don't waste too much time playing games on it, or you might miss out on the experience.
Thank you for the advice, I will be 18 soon. And I will be going with my parents.

I saw your post, should I use this Japan Wifi rental, SIM sales - JAPAN WIRELESS instead of the one you recommended? It's cheaper and they also deliver it to the airport.

A lot of the free wi-fi at businesses is linked to companies, like McDonalds needs Softbank, or somewhere else will need AU. But, cities do have free wifi areas, and some businesses have open wifi. You can't rely on it, but in a city, you should have a few opportunities every day.

Some trains & buses have free wifi. At least in Tokyo. Not sure about other areas.

I realize many people, not just teens, don't seem to be able to live without being tethered to the internet 24/7. Aside from the various locations and options already mentioned, my advice is simply to get your fix in the hotel in the morning and evening, and spend the rest of your day enjoying the new surroundings. You won't regret it.

Every minute spent halfway around the world doing things you can do at home is a minute wasted.

Bring a camera. Leave your phone.

Well, when I was visiting a daughter in Tokyo a couple years back, I had a restaurant recommendation--a place I had seen online here at home. I'd googled it in advance, looked at and printed maps, and thought it was all set.

But when we were in the area, things seemed different. She asked for the name and looked it up on her phone.

And walked us right to it.

We got in line and about two minutes later someone came out and set up a sign saying that that was the end of the line, and no more customers. We'd've missed a great lunch if she hadn't had a phone/wifi.

I would agree as much as you can to leave the phone behind. If you need it for maps etc I can understand. I used google maps a lot while I was in Japan. If you're just going to be using it to kill time though I suggest you keep your phone in your pocket and enjoy Japan.

GAC and Japan-Wireless have similar services and are both very good (I still use Japan-wireless for my tour guests occasionally and rented five units in April). And having internet while travelling is not necessarily wasted as it provides instant information on many things that will save you time.

As for wifi, for a country with more than 100,000 free wi-fi spots, it's pretty terrible. Some you need wi-fi to register in the first place, many are location specific (ie, it's not roaming coverage), and some towns that claim wide area coverage it is so bad I gave up even trying to connect (yes, Takayama, I'm looking at you and your false claims).

Best wi-fi I find is at some JR stations and on the Tokyo subway, but I have my own portable router so I don't use those much.

Back
Top Bottom