• Learn the Japanese language

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Learn about Japanese history/traditions

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Make friends

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Make connections

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Obtain practical information (Visa, cost of living, etc.)

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Learn about Japanese politics/current affairs

• Talk about popular culture (music, game, anime, etc.)

• Look for business-related opportunities (job hunting, scholarships, etc.)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Translate

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Find conversation partner

• Other (comment below)

• Total voters
Hi thanks for your reply! How active are you on this forum? How is Jref different from other online communities?
I joined 10+ years ago. Left for 5+ years and came back. I come almost daily for most of the past year.
It's different in that it's:
  • "old school" traditional forum (rather than Facebook etc) but uses latest forum software so it works well
  • it's well-moderated (which means it's friendly and not hostile)
  • it's not very busy but not dead either
but other than that it's not that much different from other communities.

Hi! Thanks for replying :) What's the reason you wanted to join this forum after you were into Facebook?
Facebook is good for connecting with my family, and friends. But if I want a broader spread of opinions and knowledge on Japan, then forums (well, active forums) have deeper conversations. I also want to give some of my knowledge on living here, to be useful to people looking to move here, which doesn't cover anyone on my FB who are either in Australia, or living in Japan already.

Hi!
Thank you for your reply! The people here are really nice, which I also appreciate! What kinds of questions do you answer? Do you answer questions written in Japanese too?

I don't answer the questions about Japanese language, there are much better Japanese speakers than me on this board.
I answer questions on English from Japanese speakers. I also know Tokyo very well having lived there since 2003, and I think I understand Japanese people fairly well, so I'll throw my hat in the ring if someone posts a question about relationship issues with a Japanese person.

Hi and hello!

Just joined here, might as well give my reasons! Though they're not very deep.
I googled "learning japanese" and "forums" and so found this place here. Been reading bits here and there before joining. I like the general atmosphere here - fundamentally nice and open, but also not likely to take **** from random one-time posters demanding this and that and than vanishing into the night (I've found the various "I want xyz in kanji for a tattoo~"- threads to be quite entertaining in this reagard).

As to Facebook: I'm not on Facebook anyway. I don't even know anyone there - at least no one I'd like to hang out online with (I am a very lonely person... nah, just kidding.)

I've been aware of this site and have visited on and off for years. The people here are amazingly friendly and helpful with Japanese learning, which has been my truest passion since age 13-14, the only thing that's really stuck with me and that I LOVE to do. After years of self-study, online college, and work after high school, I've finally decided to get a Japanese major and study abroad to hone my skills in the language.

Although my motivation can go up and down (and that usually ties in with periods where I don't visit the forum), I'm still convinced that I want to use my love of Japanese language and culture for work, and ultimately for good in this world between myself and a wonderful people.

Back
Top Bottom