What's new

Wheelchair accessible accommodation

KyushuWoozy

Sempai
Donor
13 Dec 2015
Hi,
Wonder if anyone can point us in right direction.

Me and my wife recently opened a small travel agent serving the needs of English-speaking visitors to Kyushu.

One of our upcoming guests uses a wheelchair so we were hoping to find a list of accommodation (and perhaps also tourist attractions) that are wheelchair accessible.

By good fortune (?!) I'm in hospital getting my legs done so I suggested my wife ask at the admin department here because surely they would know the best resources. I was imagining they would know any official or volunteer societies or organizations who might have a list of wheelchair accessible accommodations or attractions. Unfortunately my wife said they weren't at all helpul. Neither were the Kyushu government tourism department, Kyushu tourism board or the prefectutal disabled welfare department. She said the only thing she found googling was "barrier free network" but they don't accept enquiries from travel agents.

Actually my wife said from the start that she didn't expect there to be any such organizations because (in her words) disabled people are mostly ignored here.

Anyone know of any organisation we've missed?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You be sure to praise her highly; that's not an easy qualification to acquire.....passing rate is only around 30%.

Haha ... I'll tell her

I didn't. In marriage sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.

Mrs. Woozy needs to up her googling skills.

She did.

全国バリアフリー旅行情報/日本バリアフリー観光推進機構
バリアフリーネットワーク九州会議最初の画面
車椅子で行く神社仏閣・パワースポットの旅 | 全国の神社仏閣の歴史と写真、バリアフリーマップ、周辺観光、駐車場情報など

.... I post these just for future reference in case anyone comes across this thread looking for this kind of info.

かんぽの宿 "KANPO NO YADO"
【公式】かんぽの宿-だれでも!!泊まれる。ホテル・温泉・旅館
It is a ryokan / hotel operated by Japan Post Co., Ltd.
Until the postal privatization on October 1, 2007, it was targeted only for the simple insurance subscribers established under Article 101 of the Simplified Life Insurance Law. Moreover, it is a "welfare facility" called a recreation facility and an elderly welfare facility that can be used as accommodation facilities for that purpose.
List of barrier-free facilities of Kanpo no yado.
かんぽの宿のバリアフリー設備一覧
I often use, here facilities are substantial, and usage fee is cheap.

Thanks for sharing. It's good to see they have 6 facilities in Kyushu (my area) that can be rented by overseas visitors who have mobility challenges.

There are many sports competitions for people with disabilities in Kyushu.

Iizuka International Wheelchair Tennis Tournament held in Fukuoka prefecture.
JAPAN OPEN – 飯塚国際車いすテニス大会
I am sorry that this competition is not well known as I am from Iizuka.

Kitakyushu International wheelchair basketball tournament is being held.
国際車椅子バスケットボール大会 | 北九州チャンピオンズカップ
The Oita International wheelchair marathon contest is held in Oita Prefecture.
大分国際車いすマラソン大会 公式サイト

Kyushu Para Athletic Association.
九州パラ陸上競技協会

"祐徳稲荷神社(Yūtoku Inari Shrine)" is a shrine located in Kashima City, Saga Prefecture.
祐徳稲荷神社
This shrine has an elevator so anyone can visit.
My mother feet are bad, However, I was able to take parents to this Shinto shrine.

JR is putting more elevators now in more areas in the Shimonseki to Ube line which goes to ShinYamaguchi, Yamaguchi, which has the shinkansen station.
I think their plan is have the elevators on all main routes. Country routes which are few in Yamguchi may never get them, due the to aging population that really probably will never use the trains, but the bus routes are still in use. Mostly the elderly use them. Cost like 100 yen on the red bus or 500 yen on the other buses, then you have the city buses which start at 130 yen, but if you are 70 years old or older the fare is 100 yen.

Back
Top Bottom