What's new

What's the difference between のかわり and にかわって?

Andromedashun

先輩
3 Jan 2012
For example, why wouldn't you say 「出張中の部長のかわりに、私がごあいさつさせていただきます。」
instead of 「出張中の部長にかわって、私がごあいさつさせていただきます。」

My grammar book explained that にかわって use to describe an on-spot action focus on present time while のかわりに does not. Thus かわりに is more formal than にかわって?

Edit: my example isn't very good since it seems they are interchangable. I just want to know the difference in meaning. Thanks in advance!

戦後、ラジオに代わってテレビがメディアの主役になった。(= 戦後、メディアの主役がラジオからテレビに変わった。)

In the example sentence above, TV is not a substitute for radio. The main media was changed from radio to TV after WWⅡ. ~の代わりに can't be used in these cases.

停電したので、テレビの代わりにラジオを使った。

In this case, radio is used as a (temporary) substitute for TV. テレビに代わってラジオを使った can't be used here. テレビに代わってラジオが使われた might be barely acceptable, but テレビに代わって is usually used in the context such like テレビに代わってラジオが使われ始めた(change of the situation) as in my first example.

In your example sentences, 部長 refers to a person(of course), not a thing such like radio or TV in my examples. Thus, ~に代わって can be used for a (temporary) substitute when ~ is a person.

I just want to confirm something...

に代わって works with grammar forms that express ''change in situations'' like you said like てくる and ていく right?

For example:
野球にかわり、サッカーがさかんになってきた。works with に代わって / にかわり because なってきた also express a change?

By the way, what's the difference between になった and になってきた?

The nuance between the two is hard to explain, but a lot of times people just translate なってきた as "has become" or "has started"

高くなってくる - it will start to become expensive, ex. it will start to become expensive to travel to the US
高くなってきた - it has started to become expensive, ex. it has started to become expensive to travel to the US
高くなった - it became expensive, ex. it became expensive to travel to the US

don't get too caught up on the 'start' definition though, it's just a useful way to understand the grammar, because really what it indicates is that something is changing and still in a state of change, and in some cases it will be appropriate to use other ways to translate it

Last edited:
By the way, what's the difference between になった and になってきた?
In addition:
When ~ていく/~てくる(きた) expresses continuous action/movement in the time line, いく is used for the future and くる/きた is for the past. Thus, なっていく is usually used for the future. Although なってくる can be used also for the future when the speaker's viewpoint is on the future point. For instance, in the sentence あと一時間もすると、辺りは暗くなってくる, the speaker's viewpoint is on "one hour later". At that time it will become (gradually) dark, so くる is used here.
As for なった, it's perfect tense, thus, the change is completed. In my example 戦後、ラジオに代わってテレビがメディアの主役になっ た, the main media was already changed from radio to TV.

Back
Top Bottom