What's new

What to ask/bring from Japan?

cocoichi

後輩
28 Jul 2015
Hi everybody,

My wife is soon going to Japan to visit her family, and she always asks me what I want from Japan. I normally can't come up with something other than my favorite food products (furikake, sauces, Japanese pasta flavors, curry, etc), but I normally never know what else to ask, since I haven't really seen Japan through the eyes of a tourist for quite a while now.

Since I don't want to waste the opportunity to get something from Japan, I wonder what you guys normally request, or come up with to give to someone? Don't think too big, think suitcase size :)

Well, I live in Japan, so I'm no help to you. I have all of whatever Japanese goods I want at my disposal!

Same as Glenski, but what about a nice bottle of sake or some artsy "touristy" T-shirts?

Sake would indeed be a great idea!:hungry: Can't believe I didn't think of it! My wife's family doesn't live too far from Chusojima, so she can get me some of the good stuff!

Touristy shirts aren't safe at my house. My wife doesn't like those Yokosuka jumpers, and miraculously everything I buy that she doesn't like will either be torn apart by our dog or just disappear into thin air:banghead:

If you want a souvenir from Japan, Snow globes are nice, some are hand made. Customs officers will allow you to transport snow globes only if they're in the luggage. I know because when I was coming home from Australia, the host family of one of the pilgrims in my group gave him a snow globe and it was taken away at customs at Narita because it was in his carry on.

Last edited:
If you want a souvenir from Japan, Snow globes are nice, some are hand made. Customs officers will allow you to transport snow globes only if they're in the luggage. I know because when I was coming home from Australia, the host family of one of the pilgrims in my group gave him a snow globe and it was taken away at customs at Narita because it was in his carry on.

Thanks for the idea, but I am generally not a big fan of snow :D

You know, I've been thinking a lot about this while visiting here in the U.S., and I honestly just can't come up with 'things.' It was the same in Japan, there weren't really 'things' I missed from the states.
Maybe one of those super mini egg beaters they have in the 100¥ stores? They're handy for omelettes. Cooking chopsticks?

I tend to ask for Japanese chocolate and milk sweets - so expensive to buy outside Japan. :D

In the 100Yen shops they have tons of traditional Japanese toys. I always buy a bunch of stuff from their and let friends and family choose from them.

Others:
  • Noren (Japanese fabric dividers, hung between rooms, on walls, in doorways, or in windows.)
  • Chopsticks.... not very original but if you can buy a set with a standard for them it would be kind of cute
  • Japanese sweets (you see them everywhere)
Just to name a few

In the 100Yen shops they have tons of traditional Japanese toys. I always buy a bunch of stuff from their and let friends and family choose from them.

Others:
  • Noren (Japanese fabric dividers, hung between rooms, on walls, in doorways, or in windows.)
  • Chopsticks.... not very original but if you can buy a set with a standard for them it would be kind of cute
  • Japanese sweets (you see them everywhere)
Just to name a few

Thank you Davey! Noren actually sounds like a very good idea. I never thought of this before and we do have some rooms that would be suitable for it.

P.S. I have followed your Japan adventure since somewhere in 2008. I always enjoyed it and got me a lot of useful information, especially since I'm planning to move to Japan within a year or two. Thank you for that! It was quite a surprise to see you with Robert ten Brink! [emotional mode /off😄]

Noren are great!

Haha thank you for your kind words. Me being on TV was pretty hilarious and emotional as well ;)

Back
Top Bottom