What's new

What is this type of container called?

Ben Taylor

Registered
29 Mar 2017
51Ii54vHH0L.jpg
cans.png

Im presuming its something traditional and probably has a name, any help will be apprieciated.

do you have a better shot of the label? That would probably help.

looks like a tea package to me

do you have a better shot of the label? That would probably help.

looks like a tea package to me
It is a tea package. Im trying to find a company that produces these type of cannisters.
And non of the ones i have found had labels on them.

If you GOOGLE Japanese ...../macaron..../tea tin...../tea canister...../tea caddy .......for sale ; there are many different kinds for sale and some are really beautiful. The websites I found all seem to ship world wide. The ones I looked at were not full of tea , they were just for tea storage.

Yes, that's natsume; tea caddy for matcha tea powder. Natsume usually refers to lacquered wooden caddy for usucha(weak tea) nowadays. Incidentally, ceramic ones are used for koicha(strong tea).

棗 (茶器) - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

Looks similar to this.
Yes, that's natsume; tea caddy for matcha tea powder. Natsume usually refers to lacquered wooden caddy for usucha(weak tea) nowadays. Incidentally, ceramic ones are used for koicha(strong tea).

棗 (茶器) - Wikipedia

(all in Japanese)

yes i know where to buy them from. Im just looking for what the design or structure is called. If you look at the middle of the caddy theres this grip(?), this makes different from the others. My real question is do you know the company/supplier/factory that produces these. and is there custom made ones and can i buy them in bulk

Last edited:
On some of the English websites they are called tea tins under the name "macaron" or "Pom pom" style. The website Toritoribe gives is exactly what you want I think.

They call it "natume can" since it's made of steel and plastic.

Here's the manufacturer's home page.
株式会社 タマヤ 包装資材販売 通信販売 パッケージデザイン 商品企画

They sell 100 pieces in 1 unit for each design.
茶缶,なつめ缶 | 包装資材販売 株式会社タマヤ

And you can offer original designs.
オリジナルパッケージ 株式会社タマヤ
(all in Japanese)
Thank you so much, I've been looking for this for the last 3 days.
Really
Thank you

Lomaster gave the kanji above 茶壷, but it might be useful for you to know they are read as chatsubo when making enquiries.

Actually, that's not 茶壷. 茶壷 refers to relatively large ceramic jars for tea leaves, not caddy for tea powder.
茶壺 - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

The kanji of natume is 棗, as in the wiki page I linked above. The manufacturer uses the name なつめ缶 for their products, as I wrote in romaji in my previous post.

Actually, that's not 茶壷. 茶壷 refers to relatively large ceramic jars for tea leaves, not caddy for tea powder.
茶壺 - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

The kanji of natume is 棗, as in the wiki page I linked above. The manufacturer uses the name なつめ缶 for their products, as I wrote in romaji in my previous post.

You're right - my Japanese father-in-law, who I showed the original photos to, later realised he'd made a mistake and told me they were called natsume.

Back
Top Bottom