What's new

What I'm supposed to be learning?

Jesiah505

後輩
8 Apr 2015
So I've been going through this textbook, and all I'm seeing is a whole bunch of phrases, and I'm wondering am I supposed to be remembering these. If so that's alot to remember. So I was wondering as I'm beginning is it going to teach you how to put your own phrases together and your own word combinations, cause trying to look at all the sentences and remember them is not motivating.

Sounds like you bought a phrase book. Instead of a textbook.

Did you get the student activities manual?

Edit: I presume you're talking about the Nakama 1 textbook you mentioned before.

Yes, its Nakama 1 it says its a Japanese Textbook , I'm only on like the 60th page though, is it just telling me the common phrases or what

Yes, its Nakama 1 it says its a Japanese Textbook , I'm only on like the 60th page though, is it just telling me the common phrases or what

You may have bought one of the other materials associated with Nakama and not the main textbook itself is what Wonko is getting at.

Can you post a picture of the cover?

A review of the Student Activities Manual

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432349104.455702.jpg

Last edited:
This site has some of the audio (official publisher's site), and chapter indexes, so we can get an idea of what you should be seeing.

Are you still on chapter one? It looks like it starts out with some basic greetings and phrases (please and thank-you), and perhaps a couple of more specific phrases for classroom use (what is ~~ in Japanese, please repeat that, etc).

I wouldn't worry about memorising the more specific phrases if I were you - I guess that's intended to encourage less English use in class. Move onto chapter 2 which starts on the grammar.

Generally, you do not have to memorise everything in every chapter. Understanding the grammar points is the most important, as this will have a knock-on-effect for later. Learning every single word in the chapter vocab list, not so much.

You can always go back to earlier chapters - in fact, I recommend you do so periodically just for revision.

This site has some of the audio (official publisher's site), and chapter indexes, so we can get an idea of what you should be seeing.

Are you still on chapter one? It looks like it starts out with some basic greetings and phrases (please and thank-you), and perhaps a couple of more specific phrases for classroom use (what is ~~ in Japanese, please repeat that, etc).

I wouldn't worry about memorising the more specific phrases if I were you - I guess that's intended to encourage less English use in class. Move onto chapter 2 which starts on the grammar.

Generally, you do not have to memorise everything in every chapter. Understanding the grammar points is the most important, as this will have a knock-on-effect for later. Learning every single word in the chapter vocab list, not so much.

You can always go back to earlier chapters - in fact, I recommend you do so periodically just for revision.
Ok thank you , and to the earlier post no I didn't get the activities manual.

I think I'm gonna return this book and go for Genki again, cause I can't find anyone who has any personal experience with it or any reviews. Might not be the best book.

Make sure you get both the textbook and the workbook.

Though, with all the difficulties you've had, perhaps finding a class would be your best option.

Back
Top Bottom