What's new

What does this mean?

Andromedashun

先輩
3 Jan 2012
何も知らないくせに遅いとか早くしろとか自分勝手だったわよね。。。
What does this mean?
My translation is: ''Though we don't know anything do it late or quickly is our own way...''

何も知らないくせに遅いとか早くしろとか自分勝手だったわよね。。。
What does this mean?
My translation is: ''Though we don't know anything do it late or quickly is our own way...''

Please pay attention to verb tenses. You're never going to get any of this right if you continue ignoring verb tenses.

何も知らないくせに「遅い」とか「
早くしろ」とか自分勝手だったわよね

Do the quotation marks help?

I don't understand. I suppose you meant the words in the quotation mark is ''imperative''?
Maybe I forgot the past tense of 自分勝手?
''Though we don't know anything do it late or quickly was our own way''
Hm it becomes even more confusing.

Last edited:
I think I know now.
It was our selfish to say ''do it slow'' or ''do it late'' eventhough we don't know anything. (?)
Correct?

Do you think 遅い and 早くしろ mean "Do it slow" and "Do it late" respectively? Also, your interpretation about the subject of 知らない and who 自分 in 自分勝手 refers to fits the context?

Also, your interpretation about the subject of 知らない and who 自分 in 自分勝手 refers to fits the context?
Yes, 自分 fits the context. If you wonder, the previous sentence is:
。。。いつの間にか私達、メカの分析や作戦の立案は教授がやって当然だと思ってたのよね
So the subject must be 私達

And I'm sorry 早くしろ means ''do it quick''

I'll retranslate it one more time:
''It was our selfish to say ''you're slow'' or ''do it quick'' eventhough we don't know anything.''

Last edited:
I see, yeah, then your interpretation is correct. I just pointed out that the subject can be the addressee.

The reason 何も知らない is the present tense is that it's said from the viewpoint of the speaker(s) at that time. In English, unlike in Japanese, the past tense is used instead.

Back
Top Bottom