What's new

What does にも mean in this sentence?

Snabler

Registered
14 Nov 2014
The sentence in question:
  • もちろん日本語にも「いかがですか」 とか 「あ元気ですか」などという言葉はあるが、
I have been very hesitant in asking about this online because I really wanted to see if I can find the answer on my own; my gut says that the にも in this sentence is used give emphasis to the sentence before it, in this case "もちろん日本語", and it would basically mean the same thing if I removed the も.

My problem is I can't find anything online to confirm my suspicions and I've come to the conclusion that I have to ask someone with more experience about this.

"Also"

Is this your first exposure to double particles?

Thank you so much for pointing me to the right direction! :D
Yeah, this is the second time double particles have stumped me like this. The first one that made me scratch my head all day was のも.

Thank you so much for pointing me to the right direction! :D
Yeah, this is the second time double particles have stumped me like this. The first one that made me scratch my head all day was のも.

If you go back and examine what came before, you'll find "{language}にxxxxx"

AにXがある
BにXがある

AにXがある
BにもXがある

AにもBにもXがある

If you're talking about essentially the same X then the first way sounds just as odd as it would in English if you left "also" or "too" out.

AもBも both A and B

AにもBにも in both A and B

See the purpose of the double particle there? See why they would both need to be there or the meaning would be altered?

Double particles can be a bit confusing at first, but they're really handy and hard to get along without.

Back
Top Bottom