What's new

what comes next?

Amoi

Registered
21 May 2016
I've memorized katakana and hiragana, and know very few random spoken words. I'm about to get into kanji now, but I'm not sure how to approach learning to actually speak and understand Japanese. How should I begin to with that? with audios (like in JapanesePod101, Genki, Michel Thomas method, etc), or listening to Japanese shows/radio, or by studying grammar books, or something else?

Do a search and see if there are any classes near you.

If there aren't any, then I would suggest using something like Genki, together with the accompanying workbook and audio materials. Some people who study independently from textbooks start their own thread here for asking questions when they need help with something or want their work checked. You are more than welcome to do the same if you like.

You can go ahead and start messing with kanji if you want, but it isn't necessary. You can learn them as you progress with your studies and they are introduced in textbook lessons. Until you get about ankle deep into studying the language most explanations about the nature of kanji are largely just going to be bewildering gibberish anyway.

Back
Top Bottom