What's new

Travel Whale delight

Whale is not my favorite but I enjoy tuna and eel which have declining populations. A lot of types of fishing may need to be adjusted.

It doesn't make Japan's behaviour any more acceptable, spending taxpayers' (my) money on a wasteful, pointless and cruel 'research' project that is a PR disaster for its citizens, and this is a forum about Japan.

And tuna is in steep decline because of people gorging themselves stupid at kaitenzushi restaurants as if tuna stocks were infinite. People need to start
taking some responsiblity for their actions.

I include other countries as people often act as if Japan is the only one and drop to racist attacks. Tuna is actually pretty relevant as one viewpoint is that if Japan gives in to outside influences on whaling the next target will be blue fin tuna as it is indeed not infinite and then on to the next etc. I do agree we need to rethink how we deal with fishing and allowing populations to recover or we may lose it entirely globally. The government subsidies are puzzling this sounds like a good way for it to end without Japan giving in to outside influence, letting the market decide. Only selected regions eat it sometimes including one I used to live in so pricing it appropriately would end the whaling by itself. Sea Shepard and the like further aggravated it causing the government to give military grade technology for tracking and tracking avoidance and making it harder to come down without losing face. I am not aware of Minke whale populations being in danger but it is a waste of taxpayer money, I'd love to get to a place where where subsidies can be dropped without Japan giving in to outside influences. Us westerners would get our wish as few Japanese would pay that price. Korea seemed to give in to western opinion on dog consumption as well. We westerners sure like to create "PR disasters" for other countries who may eat things we think are cute. How much flack do white countries get?

Last edited:
How much flack do white countries get?

A lot, if you check the news. I loathe Norwegian and Icelandic whale hunting just as much as the Japanese whaling industry. Our website happens to focus on Japan and a lot of our members reside here, hence our preoccupation with Japan.

I include other countries as people often act as if Japan is the only one and drop to racist attacks

salyavin - if you want to discuss whaling, fair enough, but please stay away from that line of argument.

First, it's not something that can be argued about rationally - it's not straightforward to decide whether the person you are arguing with is motivated
racially or not. I hope that you accept that myself and Thomas as long term Japanese residents with Japanese wives and children have Japan's interests
at heart because they usually coincide with our own.

Second, this line of argument is so often used by Japanese nationalists (the "well you secretly hate us anyway" victim mentality) every time Japan is criticised to avoid an adult debate,

I have had many friendly discussions with Japanese people with different opinions to me on the issue of whaling and they have all been friendly
because they have stayed off the "What about Norway?', i.e., "you are just a prejudiced anti-Japanese westerner" line of argument.

Thank you.

Whale is not my favorite but I enjoy tuna and eel which have declining populations. A lot of types of fishing may need to be adjusted.

I trap eels and go fishing here.

Back
Top Bottom