What's new

wasuremono o shinaide kudasai. shinaide?

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
でんしゃを おりる とき、わすれものを しないで ください。

I just saw this sentence in a book I am learning japanese from and I dont understand where しないで comes from. I understand the sentence since I used google translate.

Also, I thought that the verb is しなぐ and I looked that up in a dictionary but I couldn't find anything. If anyone would explain this to me I would be more than grateful.

します is the regular polite form of the verb. The dictionary form you are looking for is する. It's an irregular verb, one of the few. Shinaide is do not. I think it is something like "When the train arrived don't foget things." Shinaide would be do not. Keep in mind that is a rough translation. ^-^'

Wow...And I learned this. I shouldn't have forgotten such a simple thing...

Anyway, thanks a lot! Especially for the quick reply. I couldn't have slept without knowing what my mistake was.

I think it is something like "When the train arrived don't foget things." Shinaide would be do not. Keep in mind that is a rough translation. ^-^'
I think it's more like "When you get off the train, please don't leave anything behind". おりる = 降りる = get off, descend, etc.

でんしゃを おりる とき、わすれものを しないで ください。
I just saw this sentence in a book I am learning japanese from and I dont understand where しないで comes from. I understand the sentence since I used google translate.
Also, I thought that the verb is しなぐ and I looked that up in a dictionary but I couldn't find anyhting. If anyone would explain this to me I would be more than grateful.

I'm late to this post but anyway, here it goes.

I suppose you looked up "しなぐ" in the dictionary because the conjugation "~いで" in "しないで" is for verbs ending with "ぐ" as in "およぐ (to swim)" and "いそぐ (to hurry)". But the "しないで" here is an extension of the short negative form of "する" which is "しない (not do)".

The "で" added to the end of "しない" makes the expression a request (requesting not to do something). The "で" has a soft tone for making request (used usually by women) and here, it is used with a short negative verb just as it can be used to conjugate "みない (to not see)" and "たべない (to not eat)" to "みないで (please do not see)" and "たべないで (please do not eat)", respectively.

There is also a way of making request like "で" but with a stronger, forceful tone. If you want to do that (I hope you don't do this too frequently), add "な" at the end of short verbs (NOT short negative verbs). So, "みる (to see)", "たべる (to eat)" and "する (to do)" will be conjugated as "みるな (do not see!)", "たべるな (do not eat!)" and "するな (do not do!)", respectively. Note that they all have a strong, forceful and authoritative tone, urging whoever you're speaking to not do something. This kind of expression is used usually by men (usually, not only by men; a woman can use this but that would make her sound masculine).

Hope this can be of help.

ないで is a te-form of the negative form of a verb. There are basically two different -te forms, ~ないで and ~なくて, for the nagative form "verb + ない", whether the verb is an irregular or godan/ichidan. You can think expressions like ~ないでください, ~ないでほしい, ~なくてはいけない, ~なくてはならない, ~なくてもいい are a kind of set phrase, i.e., ~なくてください can't be used, for instance. (The soft command ~ないで is considered a variation of ~ないでください.) Generally, ~ないで is more widely used, and ~なくて is often used to express "cause/reason" (e.g. 彼がいなくて困った "I was in trouble since he wasn't there").

Incidentally, there is another written-word-like expression ~ずに for the nagative form of verbs.

As for the nagative form of an adjective or ない as a predicate, only なくて is used.
e.g.
corret
高くなくて
休みがなくて

incorrect
高くないで
休みがないで

@The OP, I highly recommend not to trust Google translator too much. As nekojita-san explained here, understandable output doesn't always guarantee the correctness of the translation.

Very helpful thread, thanks for the in depth explanations. And definitely don't trust Google Translate (or any other electronic means of translating). I put some Japanese in GT before and the English translations made no sense at all.

You can learn to read Japanese yourself easier than you can learn to understand Google Translate's output.

ないで is a te-form of the negative form of a verb. There are basically two different -te forms, ~ないで and ~なくて, for the nagative form "verb + ない", whether the verb is an irregular or godan/ichidan. You can think expressions like ~ないでください, ~ないでほしい, ~なくてはいけない, ~なくてはならない, ~なくてもいい are a kind of set phrase, i.e., ~なくてください can't be used, for instance. (The soft command ~ないで is considered a variation of ~ないでください.) Generally, ~ないで is more widely used, and ~なくて is often used to express "cause/reason" (e.g. 彼がいなくて困った "I was in trouble since he wasn't there").

Yes, I realized this after reading the first reply, when the verb 'suru' was mentioned. It was a silly thing on my part to forget it. But now...I realize there must a lot of these expressions in japanese. I'd like to know what would be the best thing to do when I think I am dealing with expressions that I do not recognize. What I mean is...where could I search for them?

Back
Top Bottom