What's new

Was accepted to a Japanese University

Teimu

後輩
11 Feb 2015
But I need help :(
Help Me Study Abroad In Japan by Tim Taggart - GoFundMe

I plan on moving to Japan after my fiancé and I graduate from Fredonia University. Her family really wants her home and I have always loved the Japanese culture. I am doing my best with the limited time that I have to get good grades in school, and learn Japanese so that the transition to Japan won't be so harsh.

I am not nearly learning Japanese fast enough to be able to efficiently work in Japan. So, I decided the best thing for me would be to study in Japan. Since I have a limited time I am only able to study in Japan for the summer semester of 2015. My college does not offer any study abroad programs that include a Japanese campus. So, I had to apply to another college. Temple University happened to be the college closest to me that was sponsoring a study abroad program in Tokyo.

I was accepted to Temple University's study abroad program in Japan about a month after applying. I was, and still am extremely happy that I am even offered the oportunity. However, even after the student aid and loans I am still short $2,000 to be able to pay all of the expenses.

Which comes to why I am asking for help here on this website. Please help me go to college in Tokyo so that I can work to support myself, and the family that I plan to make in Japan. Any contribution would make my day, and I swear I will always remember and take my time and money to help those who helped me.

A great many people live and work here with practically zero Japanese skill. What sort of work do you intend doing once you get here? Do you really think a single semester will make that much of a difference? Have you considered that there may be better and/or less expensive options for improving your Japanese other than throwing out several thousand dollars to fund a summer at Temple?

You can learn Japanese from a textbook by yourself and you have your fiancé available for questions and conversation practice at any time. What advantage would following a course have over this? In fact it's possible that the course will be *slower* than the pace you can reach during pure self-study, especially since most of the actual study work (memorizing vocabulary and kanji) is done outside of the lectures anyway.

It's interesting that apparently not one of the people who use the pirated anime site he owns and operates has stepped up with a buck or two.

If he had put 1/10 the time into learning the language that he seemingly has into watching cartoons he probably wouldn't need a semester at Temple....

What you're all saying is true, I am currently studying the language with my girlfriend, and I have a few textbooks. My favorite was Learning Japanese The Manga Way. I just feel I would learn quicker if I went into the heart of Japan and learned from experience. Also, It wouldn't hurt to make a few connections.

As for the anime website~~ I made this for a project at my current college. It was my final project so I decided to make an anime website where people can watch for free. I'm sorry if you look bad on me for it being pirated.

So....what sort of work are you planning on doing here?

Your funds would be better spent on a course after you move here...saving you at the very least the cost of round-trip airfare.

Your funds would be better spent on a course after you move here...saving you at the very least the cost of round-trip airfare.
True, But for now my current college at Fredonia has given me the opportunity to go in the summer with a pell grant of 5 thousand which would transfer to Temple's Study Abroad Program. That along with a loan of 6,000. My fiance will be traveling to Fukuoka for the summer which leaves me with the option of summer classes here or there. I feel the best option would be to take some summer classes in Tokyo so I can dedicate 100% of my time to the language this summer.

As for right now I can study, yes. However I am taking 7 classes and working so my time is limited at best. I could either take summer classes here to help finish my degree by December, or go to Temple which my college is willing to help with. I just had no idea it would cost 18 thousand :(

I plan to do some sort of computer based job, whether it be a computer software engineer or an IT of any sort. I could even work as an English teacher for a bit if need be.

You won't get $18,000 worth of Japanese language improvement out of a semester. If you just feel you absolutely must go to a school, check out the Yamasa Institute.

You planning on trying to get a job and visa before you come or are you going to get married and go for a spouse visa.

Thank you I will look into the Yamasa Institute, I'm thinking I will go to the Boston Career Forum this November to interview for Japanese Jobs. I don't want to marry her for the reason of a visa, I would rather wait until I was settled with a job and a place in Japan before that.

~~ I see the Yamasa Institute is cheap on courses, I just wanted to add that the 18k is including everything- the flight, living for 3 months, food and tuition, etc.

If you're going to get married anyway, it would make things much easier to just go ahead and do it.

I suppose I could, and just have a more formal wedding in the future. Her parents are another story though. They are very much involved in the decision of marriage in Japan. I did ask her parent's and they said yes once I have a job in Japan and can support her.

I don't want to go against her parent's wishes... they will be my parents too XD I would hate to have that over my head forever

The Pell grant is not specific to Japan. It is specific to education, though. You might want to check into the terms and make sure that your intended course load and everything else keeps you within the rules.

After checking out Yamasa Institute I can see It would actually cost me more for a summer course, because I would have to pay in full.
@Wonko I have made all the arrangements through Fredonia and Temple to have the funds and loans transferred, so that is all set up. Yes, I know it is not just for Japan, but I will be graduating in the fall semester and was accepted for a Pell Grant for both the fall and spring. The spring pell can be used for the summer in Japan :)

Earlier you said

So I assume you live in Japan. Are you a foreigner? If so when did you move there?

So I assume you live in Japan. Are you a foreigner? If so when did you move there?

I do live in Japan. I'm from Tennessee. I have a policy of not saying online how long I've been here. It is seldom relevant and always meaningless.

Why are you short $2000? What can't you pay for? I am surprised that the uni accepted you without being able to afford it.

The main reason I ask is that if the missing two grand is not part of your schooling expenses, immigration may still grant you a visa. But you must show that you can afford all uni related expenses first.

Don't ask anonymous people for money. Ask people you know back home. Work overtime.

You plan to do IT work here while you study? Have you looked into what requirements you need to fulfill?

I don't need a visa because I am an American, and the class runs for a little less than 90 days. Actually, the go fund me was for friends and family first, I posted this on Facebook, but sadly nobody helped. I am currently working overtime at the apartments I live at. The reason I was accepted was due to the high amount of aid I will receive. I'm short more than 2k, but I have calculated how much I need to work and save to make the gap as little as 2k.

The 2k is mainly food and books. I wasn't expecting a huge donation from anyone, just $1 would have been nice. At this point I can see that it is pretty much hopeless so I'm thinking of other ways to do this. Thanks for your interest though.

3 months is hardly enough time to complete even the first Genki textbook, which teaches the absolute basics - definitely not enough to survive in a hypothetical IT working environment where no one speaks English.

It seems ludicrous to me to pay $18000 for such a small amount of education. Better off just getting the book for $35 and spending the rest of the money on the wedding, a car, bribes presents for her parents etc.

I would agree with you too if I wasn't receiving 10 thousand dollars in free aid. Seems a waste of a good opportunity if I am only 2k short.

Try not to see it as "saving $10000", but "spending $8000 on a 3-month course", which is still a lot. My point doesn't change.

Back
Top Bottom