What's new

Video Transcription

Astralogic

先輩
10 Aug 2014
Hi, despite it sounding like a long stream of gibberish, I made an attempt to transcribe the Japanese audio from the intro to a game. This is the 10mb video file, and here is my attempt:

せいれいき 2092ねん はんえいうん きばめたじんぶい は やがて おとつれであろう。らくじつにむかい じだいに ひへいしてい くかのようであった。しかし どうねん じんぶいせきねん よめであった はんじゅうろく??? ネミスのはってんにおりん じょうきょうは うってんしたのである。ゆそう ほうつう てんしくなど あらんがぶなぎゃ きやってきなしんぽうとげるなが ひとびとはもっとも そのきょうみょうしめしたのが ネミスの あるとくしましようこうにおる。じかんとぽうタイムツラヴェルのじつげんであった。 せいくは にっぱんでのきようしょうほう きんじ じかんとこをきんしほうが おさらめたのだが ひごうほうでのとこをはんざいがきゅうぞう ずいぶん たいじかんとこうはんざい そうさきょほう そうてくするに だったのである。

Could one of you pro's please correct the mistakes I no doubt made? The spaces are random, they just made it easier to type. At this point I'm just focused on getting all the syllables correct, I will make sense of them after that.

Thanks

Edit: The spaces seem to have disappeared in pasting it :/

Last edited by a moderator:
mabye you can pm the link to me? I would liek to hear it, if thats allowed by forum rules. Also your thing is like impossible for me to read anyways without kanji lol

mabye you can pm the link to me? I would liek to hear it, if thats allowed by forum rules. Also your thing is like impossible for me to read anyways without kanji lol

That thing is likely to be 99% nonsense, I had a very hard time recognizing what was being said (even though the audio is crystal clear). And my Japanese is VERY limited, so I don't know most of the words used so writing it in kanji would be impossible for me, but I tried to recognize every syllable that was said and write it down.

I'llway PMAY ouyay ethay inklay. Inkway Inkway

I wont tell you how you should study but, based in my own experience and an eye-opener advice from nekojita, transcription wont help your understanding. It is a poor way to learn new words and recognize sounds, even though it seems to natural to us to just try again and again to comprehend what is being said.

When I say , "my own" experience, its because I've transcripted about dozens of doramas(ichi rittoru no namida ) and cartoons, and besides the new words I've learned, no real improvement to my comprehension. I can, however, tell you that reading and reading, from manga to articles, is a better way to learn new words, kanji and believe it or not, improve your listening comprehension as well( by being able to recognize more words)

You should learn lots of words and do textbook work before you do listening imo. I neverl istened to any japanese things apart from the textboox records and after I learned alot of words I could understand alot of japanese, minus the subtle sounds that sometimes seem silent despite the word being spelled a certain way, that has to be practised

西暦、二千九十二年繁栄を極めた人類やがって訪れるであろう落日に向かい。次第に疲弊していく可能であった。しかし当年、人類積年夢であった半十六?(prob 物質, dont take my word tho )NEMISの発見により、状況は一変したのである。?,?,?(My guessing are 輸送,交通、建築)など荒いな?が飛躍的な進歩遂げる中.人々はもっとこの興味を示したがNEMISのある特殊な使用法による時間渡航。?のトラブルの実現であった。政府は一般でこの使用法禁じ。時間 渡航禁止法案を定めたのだが非合法?(it has to be a particle here I think they said で) 渡航犯罪渡航が急増. ついに?(たいじかん??) 渡航犯罪(I hear 捜査 + here but could be 阻却) を創設するに?(至った??)のである.

tbh i thought it was a really simple clip so I guess i cant help you out that much i suggest asking people who know more than me like Kraise or Toritoribe or nekojita or mike cash, they know alot more than me. I tried putting what I heard for the words I couldnt recognize, chances are I just havent learned the word yet.

BTW, if your japanese is limited how can you even understand this a bit? I studied for a while and alot of these words seem on the more advanced side of things and the ones i put question marks for are probably relatively advanced words. Unless im slow or something it seems kinda far fetched to be able to understand this with limited japanese,no?

Last edited:
fwiw, this is what I heard,
西暦2092年。繁栄を極めた人類はやがって訪れるであろう落日に向かい、次第に疲弊しって可能であった。しかし、同年、人類積年の夢であったはんじゅうろく物質、ネミシスの発見により状況は一変したのである。 輸送、交通、建築など、粗いの分野が飛躍的な進歩を遂げる中、人々はもっともその興味を示したのがネミシスのある特殊な使用法による時間渡航、タイムトラベルの実現であった。 政府は一般でこの使用方法禁じ、時間渡航禁止法案を定めたのだが、非合法で渡航犯罪が急増。 ついに、対時間渡航犯罪阻却を創設するに至ったのである。

Although I think perhaps letianchen's 「疲弊しいく可能」 is more likely correct than my しって, and likely I have a few other mistakes as well (「粗いの分野」 is particularly dubious since I don't think it's even grammatical...) but I hope they are small. Anyway it seems quite comprehensible to me.

I do think that in general trying to transliterate first and recognize words after is an approach unlikely to meet with success, at least I can't transcribe anything where I can't recognize the vast majority of words and only have to look up based on phonetics a very small number of words. I'd recommend playing games with a 字幕 option if your listening comprehension isn't up yet. Subtitles in games and videos has certainly helped my listening comprehension.

西暦2092年、繁栄を極めた人類は、やがて訪れるで あろう落日に向かい、次第に疲弊していくかのようであ った。
しかし同年、人類積年の夢であった反重力物質「ネメシ ス」の発見により、状況は一変したのである。
輸送、交通、建築など、あらゆる分野が飛躍的な進歩を 遂げる中、人々が最もその興味を示したのが、ネメシス のある特殊な使用法による時間渡航、「タイムトラベル 」の実現であった。
政府は一般でのこの使用法を禁じ、時間渡航禁止法案を 定めたのだが、非合法での渡航犯罪が急増。
ついに、「対時間渡航犯罪捜査局」を創設するに至った のである。

lol toritobe saved the day I was so sure they said していくかのようであ った, but then I kept heard "kanou" in my head, I spent like 30 minutes tryingto figure out what there saying and I still didn't get this part right... very frustrating that I couldn't recognize a simple phrase.. seems like I have many years to go..

btw toritobe whats 反重力??? I cant find the meaning online

Just guessing from the kanji: 反重力 "anti-gravity"

I agree that this sort of thing is an exercise in frustration. I'll go so far as to call it a pure waste of time.

lol that's what I thought, but I haven't even heard of anti gravity in English so I was like what. I really thought it was 半十六, but now that I look at the context that makes 0 sense... oh man my head hurt off hearing this clip so many times

What would you say to a beginner who proposed to teach himself English starting by transcribing an audio file of the poem Jabberwocky? If there is a difference, it is only in the degree of absurdity.

Well I'm an absurd person, thanks for the help people, this wouldn't have been possible without you. Now I will memorize all of those words and look up all the grammar that I don't know and see if I can understand this :D

PS. I like difficult things :) (Every now and then that is)

Well I'm an absurd person, thanks for the help people, this wouldn't have been possible without you. Now I will memorize all of those words and look up all the grammar that I don't know and see if I can understand this :D

PS. I like difficult things :) (Every now and then that is)

That's good, because you could hardly pick a worse way to try learning the language....

What alternative would you suggest?

If you manage to receive an answer, take it by heart.

I like to say that I'm learning "japanese " by myself and so on but, without the help from Mike , Tori and Nekojita, I would still be stuck in JLPT 3 or 4 by now.

Mike's advices are precious

Many, many people try things like this (transcribe/translate a favourite game/manga/novel/song) at a beginner level and the outcome is always the same. It takes a lot of time to attempt to decipher text when you know very little of the grammar/vocab which is present, and the return is very low in terms of what you actually learn - especially if you try to learn every word in a text without considering whether it's really a priority (犯罪 is going to come up a lot more than 疲弊).

The problem is that you have a huge jump in difficulty compared to textbook materials - the grammar is complex and may contain multiple things you haven't seen before, in addition to lots of words you don't know, some of which might not be very useful in general. Grammar is also difficult to look up. Where would you start in figuring out just this one piece? (The answer will give us a pretty good idea of where you really stand regarding grammar, btw).

次第に疲弊していくかのようであった

What you need is to start with textbook type materials to give yourself a base, and then move on to material which is a little more difficult but contains mostly material you do know - so that you have a small step up in difficulty rather than a huge cliff.

For example, learning words relating to the actual operation of the game, particularly ones which are common and likely to pop up in multiple games (攻撃) gives a high reward for time input. Plus, just learning to play the game probably isn't too hard and allows you to actually enjoy it. Learning a word that crops up once in the backstory and may even be something made up for that particular game gives a low reward for time input.

What I did when I started playing games in Japanese was actually to go to an online game site or to Vector, download/register for a whole whack of stuff that looked potentially interesting in turn, open it up and make a decision about whether or not this was going to be helpful/interesting or an exercise in frustration. If even after skipping through the opening scenes the game gave me wall-of-text syndrome, I deleted it. Sometimes you have to admit when things are too hard for you right now.

But looking at that wall of text gets me soo excited :D

I'll be back once I memorized all those words.

Is it just me or does anyone else not hear あらゆる, legit it sounds like 荒いな分野 or something like that -_-

I'm gonna have a go at the first two sentences.

西暦2092年、繁栄を極めた人類は、やがて訪れるで あろう落日に向かい、次第に疲弊していくかのようであ った。
しかし同年、人類積年の夢であった反重力物質「ネメシス」の発見により、状況は一変したのである。

2092AD, having reached the pinnacle of prosperity, mankind is facing it's darkest time, the collapse of society appears to be gradually approaching. However in that same year, the golden age of mankind brought on by the discovery of "Nemesis", an anti-gravity material, has turned the situation around.

One quick question, would the red text above be very literally translated as "will eventually visit the sunset they are facing"?

The よう at the end of sentence 1 I translated as "appears", I'm not sure but I think that's right.

One thing that I didn't really know what to do with is the fact that 次第に疲弊していくか is a question, or at least appears to be one. Maybe because the event only appears to be approaching (and hence is uncertain)?

I believe 次第に疲弊していくかのようであ った, is reffering to the part before it its an inversion of some sort i suppose

2092 AD.Despite the gradual impoverishment , mankind whom have decided on prosperity keep facing forward towards the setting sun ( I believe setting sun is a metaphor for "a better future")

I believe that this 次第 is the 'gradually' 次第 not the 'depending on' 次第, based on context and because it's 次第にx not xの次第.
If I went for a literal translation for the red 落日 phrase, I'd say 'at last, they are heading into their sunset'. I believe the やがて is the 'ultimately/in the end' type, as it follows a description of a state that from the rest of the context appears to be changing.

The only thing I really don't like about Astrologic's translation is "the golden age of mankind brought on by".
「人類積年であった(もの)」 is surely 'the thing humanity has dreamt of for many years', nothing to do with golden ages.
"However, in the same year, mankind's long-standing dream of anti-gravity was realized in the discovery of a substance called 'Nemisis', a discovery that completely reversed the situation."
Or something like that.

Yes like somecallme chris said this shidai is more by the definition of "gradual" which is further emphasized by
I have a question about the de in 非合法での渡航犯罪が急増, does this de mean "as a result of being illegal~~" kind of confused about this particle placement here. Im pretty sure my translation for this sentence and the one following this phrase isnt completely right

Heres the whole translation

2092 AD.Despite the gradual impoverishment , mankind whom have decided on prosperity keep facing forward towards the setting sun.However in the same year, the long standing dream completely changed the situation due to an anti-gravity material invented by "NEMIS". Transportation, communication, and things like architecture, all of such fields have been rapidly in the midst of progression due to such. As people show more interests in this, Specific usage methods are used in accordance with this time voyage, something of which could be implemented as "time travel". The government bans such usage methods, and although it has decided on a time voyage stoppage law, these illegal voyage time crimes have increased. At last "The bureau against time voyage crimes" came to be formed

西暦2092年、繁栄を極めた人類は、やがて訪れるであろう落日に向かい、次第に疲弊していくかのようであった。
しかし同年、人類積年の夢であった反重力物質「ネメシス」の発見により、状況は一変したのである。
輸送、交通、建築など、あらゆる分野が飛躍的な進歩を遂げる中、人々が最もその興味を示したのが、ネメシスのある特殊な使用法による時間渡航、「タイムトラベル」の実現であった。
政府は一般でのこの使用法を禁じ、時間渡航禁止法案を定めたのだが、非合法での渡航犯罪が急増。
ついに、「対時間渡航犯罪捜査局」を創設するに至ったのである。
Based on Toritoribeさん's transcript (which I take to be completely correct), I would translate the passage,

"The year 2092. Having flourished to the extreme, humanity has at last headed into their decline, seeming as though they will slowly fall into ruin. However, that same year, mankind's long-standing dream of anti-gravity has been realized in the discovery of the anti-gravity substance 'Nemis(is)', completely reversing the course of events. Every imaginable field is advancing in leaps and bounds, shipping, travel, architecture, and on and on; but among them all, the one people show the most interest in is Nemis(is)'s unique capacity to be used for voyaging across time -- the realization of actual time travel. The government banned civilians from using it in this way with the passage of the Time Travel Prohibition Act, but illegal time travel became widespread. Finally, we reach the establishment of the 'Criminal Time Travel Prevention and Investigation Bureau!'"

(Whether you go with 'NEMIS' (which I suppose is from some official translation?) or 'Nemisis' or whatever is a matter of taste, I think. The derivation from the English is obvious, it's up to you how close you want your name for the substance to resemble the word.)

I'm fairly confident in my understanding of the passage, but of course if I have made any mistakes, I hope nobody will hesitate to point them out so that I can learn from them.

(Actually, I guess, to be completely honest, I'm a -little- fuzzy on 一般... whether it means 'has universally and totally banned time travel' or means 'has banned time travel in ordinary cases (among unauthorized persons)', and at the very end with 至った means 'the government ultimately has reached...', 'the narrative has ultimately reached....' or 'events have ultimately culminated in...'; obviously I translated it with a 'the narrative has ultimately reached...' kind of idea, and probably would do so regardless of the correct meaning of the Japanese, just because it feels better for dramatic reasons as the game goes into the team splash image and dramatic music. But still, knowing the correct interpretation would be for the best!)

I had a gut feeling I got 人類積年の夢 wrong. A real facepalm moment because it looks obvious now :/

Back
Top Bottom