What's new

Using Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji.

NoSleepInJapan

Registered
21 Aug 2014
I'm slowly learning Hiragana. Something that confuses me is using Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji with eachother. I don't know any Katakana or Kanji, but I have a brief idea of what they are for.

I've seen characters that look like Hiragana that I've already learnt, along with other characters that are undoubtedly Kanji. Is this even possible? Can you have more than one writing system in the same sentence? Can you use more than one writing system in the same word?

How do all three writing systems work with each other? Can I write everything in just Hiragana and Katakana without using Kanji?

I'm relatively new to learning Japanese so I've got a lot of questions to clear things up for me.

I didn't ask how you're learning the Japanese writing system. I asked how you're learning Japanese....the language.

Questions about the writing system will only begin to make sense once you start learning the language itself.

I didn't ask how you're learning the Japanese writing system. I asked how you're learning Japanese....the language.

I'm just picking up on key words and phrases. I haven't been learning many words/phrases recently though. I've just been trying to remember my hiragana. I search for a list of basic but important things I need to know, and memorise some of them.

I'm slowly learning Hiragana. Something that confuses me is using Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji with eachother. I don't know any Katakana or Kanji, but I have a brief idea of what they are for.

I've seen characters that look like Hiragana that I've already learnt, along with other characters that are undoubtedly Kanji. Is this even possible? Can you have more than one writing system in the same sentence? Can you use more than one writing system in the same word?

How do all three writing systems work with each other? Can I write everything in just Hiragana and Katakana without using Kanji?

I'm relatively new to learning Japanese so I've got a lot of questions to clear things up for me.
Japanese writing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom