What's new

Using CoE to change status of residence

Hello,
Next semester I will attend Tohoku University for a semester through
a bilateral exchange agreement with my home university.
In this connection I would like to study 3 months at a language school to improve my Japanese before
my semester at Tohoku starts, however, I have a problem. In order to time everything, I might have to enter Japan before I receive my Certificate of Eligibility from Tohoku University!
In short my plan is this:
  1. Enter Japan on Temporary Visitor visa
  2. Attend language school for 3 months
  3. While attending the language school, receive my CoE from Tohoku.
  4. Use my CoE to change my status of residence to "Student" while still in Japan.
  5. Attend Tohoku University for a semester

The problem is, that I am not sure step 4 is possible. I've read some posts on
the internet about people having done it, but they are a few years old.
Does anyone know if it is possible to change my status of residence from
"Temporary Visitor" to "Student" while I am in Japan?

Ratings
Will the school even let you attend without the proper visa in hand? That seems to be a more pressing question (step 2).

I should perhaps have added that the language school stay will be more like 80-days, so I can use a temporary visitor visa for the entirety of this. Just to be sure, I checked with the language school and the Japanese consulate, there's no problem there.

Ratings
I have changed from temporary visitor to my current work visa. Changing is possible, BUT it is an entirely different process from the COE route. That means different sets of forms, different requirements (COE not required but helpful) and different timeline.

Obviously immigration does not like handling such cases at all. However it is much easier and accessible than it was before (or so I've heard).

If possible, you will want someone from the school to go with you so you don't end up saying anything you shouldn't.

The wait for the COE can be a PITA. And the wait for approval of your status change is going to feel like another long wait. Just be prepared.

Also, be prepared to do some talking and whatever if you intend to come in with a one-way ticket as a temporary visitor. I heard US citizens have no such issue though.

All the best to you anyways.

Thanks for the replies guys, I spoke with the language school and they pretty much said the same.
It's done every once in a while, but not standard procedure.
I'll take my chances and swallow up the price of an extra plane ticket if need be.

I have changed from temporary visitor to my current work visa. Changing is possible, BUT it is an entirely different process from the COE route. That means different sets of forms, different requirements (COE not required but helpful) and different timeline.

Obviously immigration does not like handling such cases at all. However it is much easier and accessible than it was before (or so I've heard).

If possible, you will want someone from the school to go with you so you don't end up saying anything you shouldn't.

The wait for the COE can be a PITA. And the wait for approval of your status change is going to feel like another long wait. Just be prepared.

Also, be prepared to do some talking and whatever if you intend to come in with a one-way ticket as a temporary visitor. I heard US citizens have no such issue though.

All the best to you anyways.
Hello,

would you be able to offer more details on your case? you mention COE was not needed for the change of status...so how did it work? you got a job offer, then what was the next step? go to the immigration and get a form...did you have to attach to your visa application an offer letter/contract? did the employer have to go with you? did they have to sign anything for you? also do you have a degree? did you have to present it? I would appreciate your answers.