What's new

Using つもり

Dante17

先輩
3 Dec 2013
Hi there. I've made a few sentences using つもり within them and would like someone to tell me if they are correct. Thanks very much :)

1. I do not intend to go out on Sunday

2. I do not intend to get married

3. I intend to study because we have an exam this week

Answers:

( Sorry for the little kanji. It's a work in progress )

1. 日よびにでないつもりです。

2. わたしはけこんしないつもりです。

3. こんしゅうにしけんがありますから、べんょうするつもりです。

Thank you :)

You need to watch your typing:
日よび → 日ようび
けこん → けっこん
べんょう → べんきょう

I would also suggest you use でかける instead of でる for the sense of "going out" (and doing something instead of spending the day at home), and drop に after こんしゅう. The rest is fine.

With the negatives it's also possible to use the form "するつもりはない" instead.

To go out でかける
こんしゅう is relative time so you don't need に

FYI there r 2 ways to express no intention with subtle differences. 日曜日でかけるつもりはありません is also correct but it's more emphatic that there is no intention to go out rather than I intend not to go out.

Oh, I see. My book has only shown no intention by using a negative with つもり you see. Hence why it's the only way I show no intention.

"I have no intention of _" is a fixed phrase in English that really means "Unless forced to, I will not _"
(でかけないつもり)
"I don't plan to _" is used more for "_ might happen, but I have no such intention at the moment"
(でかけるつもりはない)

"I do not intend to..." is kind of stiff and might mean either of the above depending on context and tone of voice.

Not sure exactly how your book phrased it, but, something to keep in mind. Maybe this is only true in American English? But I don't know if your book is in your English or ours.

Another useful one here is 予定 (よてい). 出かける予定がない may be better for the case where you don't have any particular plans to go out, which is not necessarily the same as an intent to stay in.

Back
Top Bottom