What's new

Usage of the word 非難

Qloo

Registered
9 Nov 2017
I was wondering if this is correct if I am translating this in English to Japanese: "when yoshi san glares at me like that, I feel like he is judging me."

よしさんに睨まれる時に、すごく非難されてると感じてる。

非難する means "to blame/criticize".
Speaking strictly, those two verbs are passive.

Hm... so I guess I would want to change up my question. What is the word for "judging" in a negative context and how would I structure it correctly so the translation makes sense in this context?

Is there any reason you have to use "to judge" or verbs in similar meanings? In other words, why you can't accept "to blame"?

Hm.. I apologize I guess I just assumed and doubted my usage being incorrect and I should have used another word for it.

I think I just needed a confirmation that my sentence structure was okay to use.

It's OK to use free translation for natural English if you understand the construction (passive, for instance) correctly, but I don't think it's acceptable to translate 非難する as "to judge".

I'm curious why "like that" didn't make it into the translation.

You had "glares at me like that" in the original, but just "glares at me" in the translation. Did you not know how to express "like that" in Japanese, not think it matters, just overlook it, or what? It's your sentence and you're the only one who knows what context it has to fit into and whether it mattered in the original English or was just throwaway phrasing.

mm... well "like that" would be like そう言う。I just overlooked it. But it would be like よしさんにそう言う風に睨まれる時に、非難________。

Not even sure but is it possible to just say 非難を感じてる? Since 非難 is a noun as well?

Ooops! I realized that I totally misunderstood your question. I thought you were translating the Japanese sentence into English. Sorry!
Anyway, 非難する means "to blame/criticize", as I wrote, so I would use 値踏みする or 試す instead. Also, 感じる is more appropriate since it would be a habit, not the current feelings. と conditional is more natural in the same reason.
Incidentally, そういう is usually written in hiragana to avoid being misinterpreted as "to say so". I would use そんなふうに, though.

Back
Top Bottom