What's new

Us nam era m17 gas mask

Ratings
Hello thought I might show my Vietnam era m17 gas mask. Bought at an antique store for £20! Think I got a bargain for the lot.

Attachments

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Ratings
1 762
Looking at your photos I remembered the atropine syrette we were issued during military service: it was the largest (and scariest) hypodermic needle I had ever seen. We were praying that we'd never have to use it. :emoji_grin:

Uncle Frank

SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
Staff member
Admin
Ratings
3 483
I was issued the very same one for riot control when I worked for the local police force. It's 43 years old and still works . I've replaced the filters twice. I use it when ever I don't want to breath in household chemicals or dust.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
I was issued the very same one for riot control when I worked for the local police force. It's 43 years old and still works . I've replaced the filters twice. I use it when ever I don't want to breath in household chemicals or dust.
I don't know the model number of the gas mask they issued us aboard ship when I was in the Navy (mid '80s).

I remember being the only one curious enough to examine them carefully and look up them up in reference manuals.

I also remember the general dismay when I announced my findings....that all our masks were fitted with training canisters and were bloody ****** useless against anything except household dust and maybe tear gas.

Ratings
I don't know the model number of the gas mask they issued us aboard ship when I was in the Navy (mid '80s).

I remember being the only one curious enough to examine them carefully and look up them up in reference manuals.

I also remember the general dismay when I announced my findings....that all our masks were fitted with training canisters and were bloody ****** useless against anything except household dust and maybe tear gas.
Really? That's not a good thing. Well thank god no chemical weapons were used.

Ratings
Probably the same I used in training a couple times. Put it on, go into a shed full of tear gas (pretty much colorless/invisible), dance and wave your arms, then take the mask off and try to talk.

Then stumble outside and try not to hit a tree.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY-you SPAM/we BAN
Staff member
Admin
Ratings
3 483
That reminded me of a funny event in Navy boot camp. We had to do the gas mask bit as part of training. This one sailor was convinced it was poison gas that would kill him. They spent about 15 minutes explaining and arguing with him , and he still refused to put the mask on and go in. Finally about 6 chiefs grabbed him and tossed him in the tank without a mask and locked the doors for about 10 minutes with just him in their screaming and yelling. Mean while the chiefs gave us a lecture about panic and what a prime example this guy in the teargas tank was.