What's new

Upgrade Upgrading to Xenforo 2

Yeah, me too. Is there any chance you could look into the problem with NoScript, though? I just checked another script-blocking add-on, and the problem happens with that one, too. It seems something that extensions rely on to "turn off" scripts doesn't quite synchronize with however the forum software makes use without JS possible.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with NoScripts. I have checked the Xenforo support forum, but couldn't find any mention of issues related to it.

There appears to be an option to whitelist domains:

The Firefox NoScript guide you have all been waiting for - gHacks Tech News

But they also state:

The downside here is that site functionality may also not work properly on select sites. Since scripts are blocked by default, a site may simply not work at all, or only partially with NoScript installed. [...]

It is often difficult to tell which scripts are required for a site's core functionality, and which are not. This is especially true for Internet users who have little experience when it comes to domains, website technologies and scripts.

The necroposting warning seems to be gone.

Thanks! (y)

I have to check if there is a similar add-on for Xenforo 2.

It's not specifically a problem with NoScript, it's a problem with any extension in Firefox that blocks or "turns off" scripts. The only solution I've found is to disable JavaScript in the browser settings (which, funny enough, works even with NoScript also enabled); note that while I'm doing this, NoScript is absolutely useless and allowing scripts on other sites requires re-enabling JavaScript in the settings. I don't know for sure if it's a problem with Xenforo or Firefox, but something is broken and I don't know what, so I'm not at a vantage point to fix it.

In fact this is a serious problem because while Abrowser offers a checkbox on a special page, standard Firefox doesn't offer a visible option; disabling JavaScript is only possible through about:config and Mozilla actually recommends using an extension such as NoScript to turn JavaScript off. So as it stands, on Firefox at least, most users who turn JavaScript off will find that they are unable to post consistently here, despite the fact that the forum software actually offers very good no-JS support and works just fine with JavaScript disabled.

If I was in your position, I would open a support request with Xenforo about this. Not so much for my sake (I keep JavaScript off most places, and Abrowser offers an easy way to toggle the actual JS setting, so this is only a minor inconvenience for me), but for the sake of other potential users. The Xenforo support should be able to figure out if it's a bug in Xenforo or Firefox.

If I was in your position, I would open a support request with Xenforo about this. Not so much for my sake (I keep JavaScript off most places, and Abrowser offers an easy way to toggle the actual JS setting, so this is only a minor inconvenience for me), but for the sake of other potential users. The Xenforo support should be able to figure out if it's a bug in Xenforo or Firefox.

Thanks @Julie.chan , I actually have a vague idea of what might be causing this. I'll fire up Firefox tonight and look into the issue.

@julie-chan

I was unable to reproduce the issues you have described, at least while using FF on W10. I installed NoScript and tried posting and editing with JavaScript disabled via both, NoScript and about:config (in all combinations you described). I had no problems posting or editing, but a few images that are called via Ajax or JQuery were not displayed. And of course, post formatting doesn't work (no editor), though you can still use BBCodes.

I assume your problems are related to your particular set-up. :(

On a more general note: I have revised the permissions of all usergroups. Please contact me if you are unable to access any pages or site sections.

Hm... I guess we'll have to leave it at that, then. Hopefully it's just a browser bug.

It's good to hear that the problem doesn't exist on Windows, at least.

Mark all forums read gives me
Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.

Mark all forums read gives me
Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.

I assume that's related to the change of our URL structure (we dropped the 'www'). Please clear your browser's cache and try again.

Thanks for reporting this. :)

I get the same error using Firefox on Windows. It happens even if I log in fresh using a "private window."

Also, fyi, your front page Christmas greeting card is only viewable if I'm logged in. I noticed that behavior happening on both Firefox and Safari on iPhone.

Also, fyi, your front page Christmas greeting card is only viewable if I'm logged in. I noticed that behavior happening on both Firefox and Safari on iPhone.

Thanks, I have updated the notice. The card is now visible to guests, too.

I confirm the error message on clicking "Mark forums read". The local JavaScript file seems to be affected by our internal redirection rules. This issue will need some more debugging. Thanks again for bringing it to our attention!

Hey, has the search function always required you to introduce more than 3 characters, regardless of character type (English or Japanese)?

I don't remember how it worked before the update, so this might be working as intended. However, it seems a bit too restrictive for searching Japanese. Especially since even kanjis count only as a single character.

Confirmed! By default, search queries need to consist of at least four characters. However, we do have an add-on that allows searching even one character, but I need to fiddle with the templates first. For the time being, could you please switch to the default style (click the "JREF Nova" link at the very bottom of the footer and change to "Default Style") to use the search function?

Edit: until I find the correct template edit please use this link:

Search results

Last edited:
I noticed you did fix the mark all forums read, just wanted to let you know I confirmed fixed.

Our good friends at Threadloom have helped us implement TL search. You will now be able to use short search strings with three characters or less.

Thanks Threadloom!

While I don't do short searches, just for giggles I went to search threads and searched for 鼻水 and was denied saying too short, too long, or too common.

While I don't do short searches, just for giggles I went to search threads and searched for 鼻水 and was denied saying too short, too long, or too common.
It seems to work only if you search from the field in the top right corner. If you use the search function from Forum > Search Forums (from the top left), indeed it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom