What's new

Upgrade to Xenforo

I was referring to the submenu in the header, not the Quick Nav. Take a look at the header, there's a new link to recent activities, right next to the new links. ;)

Is there a section for just staff to post now that other members can not see ? Maybe I'm just not seeing it ?

Uncle Frank

Editing seems to be running hot and cold for me. Sometimes I can edit my old posts, and sometimes I can't. I tried to edit my last post, but the "tools" box doesn't appear in the post (even when logged on). Anybody else notice this?

Thank you for reporting this!

I'm currently away from my home PC, but shall look into this issue tonight. Could you please tell me which OS/browser combination this usually happens on?

Thank you for reporting this!

I'm currently away from my home PC, but shall look into this issue tonight. Could you please tell me which OS/browser combination this usually happens on?
I'm using Firefox v 32.0.3

Editing seems to be running hot and cold for me. Sometimes I can edit my old posts, and sometimes I can't. I tried to edit my last post, but the "tools" box doesn't appear in the post (even when logged on). Anybody else notice this?

Self-edits are restricted to 60 minutes (depending on the user group), which may explain why you were unable to access the Tool box in some cases. We had the same time limit on vB.

I get a weird effect on Firefox (Linux) where the icons are replaced with random symbols (almost like mojibake for icons). (e.g. bold/italic etc. icons when posting, little envelope that should be next to your login name). Works fine on Chrome, though, so I'm not too fussed.

I get a weird effect on Firefox (Linux) where the icons are replaced with random symbols (almost like mojibake for icons). (e.g. bold/italic etc. icons when posting, little envelope that should be next to your login name). Works fine on Chrome, though, so I'm not too fussed.

The theme uses Font Awesome, an iconic font set built using scalable vector graphics. Very nifty and the latest state-of-the-art. I cannot reproduce the "icon mojibake' you reported, but I reckon that once your browser has cached those icons they shall display fine.

The same mojibake occurs on my PC (Windows8.1/Firefox32.0.3).The icons were displayed correctly right after the conversion, but this problem has happened since yesterday (or the day before yesterday, I don't remember exactly). May I ask what you did to fix this, nekojita-san?
vcxliq.jpg

The same mojibake occurs on my PC (Windows8.1/Firefox32.0.3).The icons were displayed correctly right after the conversion, but this problem has happened since yesterday (or the day before yesterday, I don't remember exactly). May I ask what you did to fix this, nekojita-san?

There was a small upgrade in theme yesterday. Let me apply the patch (in an hour or so) to see if it fixes things.

Thanks again for reporting this! :)

In my case on Firefox it was in about:config / browser.display.use_document_fonts set to 0 not the default of 1. (this forces all fonts to my defaults, not what the website specifies). There might be other font settings which cause similar effects.

Unfortunately after turning it back to the default and visiting a few other sites I remembered why I had changed it from the default in the first place.

I have found, but haven't tried yet, a workaround that requires the installation of an add-on so I can let this page use custom fonts but
Some sites don't have symbols unless "allow pages to choose their own fonts" is checked | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support (answer by Gingerbread Man)

Thanks, nekojita-san, but unfortunately, installing fontawesome-font doesn't work well on my PC. Hmmm...

Unfortunately, the situation is the same...

Sorry about the inconvenience. I am confident we'll find a solution for this!

Two questions:

1. Does this persist after reloading the page?
2. Does this also occur on other browsers (IE, Safari, Opera, etc)?

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

1)
Yes.
2)
No. This problem is specific to Firefox. There is no problem with IE11.0.9600.17207 and Google Chrome38.0.2125.101m (so I'm not too fussed, either, as nekojita-san wrote).

Getting closer here. ;)

We are now loading the icon set locally, does it make any difference in Firefox, @Toritoribe san?

Sorry for your time and effort, @thomas san. The same mojibake still occurs, but the problem is not in JREF, but in my Firefox. All the icons don't display correctly in Font Awesome site, either. I seem to need to check my settings...
28o5ro.jpg

the same page via Chrome
w166nn.jpg

Sorry for your time and effort, @thomas san. The same mojibake still occurs, but the problem is not in JREF, but in my Firefox. All the icons don't display correctly in Font Awesome site, either. I seem to need to check my settings...

Are you, by any chance, running an ad blocker in Firefox or any other plugin suppressing code execution, such as NoScript?

Last edited:
Bingo!! NoScript caused this problem! I don't know why the icons displayed correctly before the upgrade, though. Anyhow, thanks for your effort and patience, @thomas san!:)
k9jk9w.jpg

Very glad to hear that! :)

You don't need to uninstall NoScript, it suffices to whitelist Font Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom