What's new

Unknown Hiragana く°

DemstarAus

先輩
6 Jul 2011
く°

I saw this ひらがな while watching Spirited Away, when Chihiro was running through the restaurant district near the start of the film, it was on a sign.

I've never seen it before and want to know if it's an old symbol no longer used. It's definitely not ぐ. I had to use a Celsius symbol to make it.

A little odd, but if you could tell me what on Earth it means, that'd be great.

Dem (^_^)v

I believe it was made-up nonsense script to illustrate the other-worldly nature of where she ended up. Sort of a "down the rabbit hole" thing.

That makes sense... I do have a screenshot but I can't upload it as my bandwidth is out. The whole sign says ぶく°... not that it would mean anything, just to anyone that's curious?

I've seen the film and like it. Unfortunately, I don't remember the signs at all... :p

I'm pretty sure Mike is right. The otherworldly atmosphere in the stores and whatnot, I do remember.

I've never watched the movie, but I found a trailer on Youtube.

0:44, there is a sign. I read it "おでんおでんおで", but I'm no sure about ん. This house looks like おでん屋 to me, so I thought it's おでん. I think this で might be it.

Here's a map of 油屋[Yuya] town Chihiro wandered into. The letters/characters are tiny and therefore hard to decipher, but the store that sells ぶく゜is on the near side of the steps.
There are also stores there selling め(eyes), 唇(lips) or even 鬼(ogres) or 呪(curses).😲
2jkva-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom