What's new

Understanding this sentence

Tenaria

後輩
9 Feb 2017
Hi, I am having trouble understanding the following sentence:
届いたりしたらいいのにな
Would someone be able to break down the sentence word by word please? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Oh also, with this sentence:
消えることない
is the ことない plain/ casual form or something?

Last edited:
Oh, and one more :)
In the following sentence: そしたらねぇ二人でどんな言葉を放とう
what does the 放とう form of the verb mean?

届い/たり/し/たら/いい/のに/な

消えることが(or の)ない

Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia

The song "Yume Tourou" by RADWIMPS just says 消えることない without the が/の. Is there a reason for this?

For reference here are the links to the lyrics: RADWIMPS – Yume Tourou (夢灯籠) Lyrics (Romaji + English Translation) | LYRICS159 the sentence is in the second paragraph 3rd line of japanese down.

And what meaning does the たり in 届いたり give to the sentence? (The whole sentence is このまま僕たちの声が世界の端っこまで消えることなく届いたりしたらいいのにな if that gives any reference)

Last edited:
Also, in that same sentence (このまま僕たちの声が世界の端っこまで消えることなく届いたりしたらいいのにな) what does the のにな mean at the end of the sentence/ how does it change the English meaning of the sentence.

Sorry for asking so many questions - your help is much appreciated! :D

Have you never learned sentence final particles?

I've done Beginners Japanese in High School and now i'm doing a bit of self taught. I probably have learnt it but am just a bit shaky with Japanese :)

Putting the のに at the end, is that a colloquial thing again? And I still don't quite understand the English meaning of たり. Is it similar to the meaning of the ~たり~たり form of listing activities in any way?

のに is originally an adversative conjunction, as you might know, but it's used to show the speaker's unrealizable wish, similar to the subjunctive past "I wish I/it could ~" in English. You can think that the clause following のに is omitted; such like 届いたりしたらいいのになぜ届かないんだろう/実際届くことはないんだろうな.
Yes for たり. It adds the meaning "or something".

Back
Top Bottom