What's new

Should I still pursue the undergraduate MEXT scholarship even if my GPA doesn’t match the requiremen

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

ablaze

後輩
20 Feb 2018
Even though, the Japanese Embassy state the academic requirements for the MEXT undergraduate is... "Applicants must have completed 12 years of regular school education or graduated from a school equivalent to an upper secondary school in Japan."
However I have read the fine lines that say, "applicants must have a minimum GPA score of 2.3" which disappointed me massively.
I'm from the UK and already completed my A-levels though my grades were DEE.
When I converted these grades into a GPA, I found out that they actually don't have a place for the E. It's A, B, C, D, U (U for fail)
Taking this in my GPA score only comes to a 2.00.

I emailed the Embassy about my concern and asked if there was any way to make up for my lack of grades.

They sent me this following email:
"Of course applicants' academic performance will be taken into consideration in the screening process. However, more importantly, they need to perform well in the tests in their relevant study subjects once they are invited. Please view the past exams for undergraduate programme in the「学部留学生」boxes at: http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/jp/toj/toj0302j-32.html"

I can't help but think that my application will be turned out because of the 2.0GPA and I also can't help but think the email was sent to not discourage me from applying for the scholarship.

So I know need some advice. I know it's better to try than not a all but I do not want to waste my time and effort pursuing something I will never get.

So should I still continue pursing the MEXT undergraduate scholarship or not bother?

It seems to me that the Japanese system does have an equivalent for "E". It's their "U". Actually the situation is worse than that I'm afraid. According to what I know about A-levels, E's are 40% or under, and D's are for 40-50%. In the Japanese system, these would all translate as failing grades. I'm also confused as to how you calculate a 2.0 from your two failing grades and one barely passing grade, but that probably doesn't matter in the end. I really think you ought to be looking at other options - I can't see how with D/E/E you would be admitted no matter how well you do on their exams. I don't mean to be harsh in this assessment, but it doesn't look very promising for you.

It seems to me that the Japanese system does have an equivalent for "E". It's their "U". Actually the situation is worse than that I'm afraid. According to what I know about A-levels, E's are 40% or under, and D's are for 40-50%. In the Japanese system, these would all translate as failing grades. I'm also confused as to how you calculate a 2.0 from your two failing grades and one barely passing grade, but that probably doesn't matter in the end. I really think you ought to be looking at other options - I can't see how with D/E/E you would be admitted no matter how well you do on their exams. I don't mean to be harsh in this assessment, but it doesn't look very promising for you.

Hey thanks for the response.
I calculated the 2.0 from the D. There's a few ways to convert your A-Level grading system into a GPA and vice versa.

I appreciate your honestly and this only means I need to now look at other options to work/live in Japan so don't worry about coming across as harsh

Hey thanks for the response.
I calculated the 2.0 from the D. There's a few ways to convert your A-Level grading system into a GPA and vice versa.

I appreciate your honestly and this only means I need to now look at other options to work/live in Japan so don't worry about coming across as harsh

Hm. A D carries 1.0 credit, while the E's will carry zero... so that average should be 1.0/3 or 0.33.

Anyway, I hope you find another option, if your hope is to go to Japan. Getting in as a student is far easier than getting a work visa, unless you've got connections to a company for some sort of internship. If that's the route you want to go are there university options for you back in the UK to get your undergraduate study complete (or at least well underway)? It may be that you can get sufficient grade in a year or two in university that then will make you look much more attractive for a MEXT scholarship.

Back
Top Bottom