What's new

Undergraduate Design Universities in Japan?

dopedesign88

Registered
4 Sep 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing an undergraduate design degree in Australia (I'm just a first year), but I would like to go to Japan for undergraduate design instead. I'm ok with either transferring or reapplying all over again. However, my Japanese is honestly poor, at around JLPT N5.

Given my situation, what are the options I can undertake?
- Are there any universities/colleges in Japan that offer an undergraduate design course in English?
- Are there any universities/colleges in Japan that offer an undergraduate design course with loose language requirements?
- Should I intensively study Japanese in order to take the entrance exam this December?
- Should I go to Japan to take a language course and apply next year?
- Should I just stay in Australia and complete my current degree?
- Etc.?

To be honest, my main goal is to eventually move to Japan and live there permanently.

Thanks so much in advance ~

Are there any universities/colleges in Japan that offer an undergraduate design course in English?

You can google that yourself.

Are there any universities/colleges in Japan that offer an undergraduate design course with loose language requirements?

Would you want an education from a school that didn't give a damn if you could understand the classes well enough to pass them?

Should I intensively study Japanese in order to take the entrance exam this December?

That's usually N1. Unless you're a super genus, there's no way in hell you're going to go from self-assessed.N5 to actually-passed-the-test N1 between now and December.

Should I go to Japan to take a language course and apply next year?

If you have that kind of money that is certainly an option.

Should I just stay in Australia and complete my current degree?

That's probably your best choice.

To be honest, my main goal is to eventually move to Japan and live there permanently.

Being in a hurry to get here just so you'll be here is a horrible way to achieve that goal. Japan isn't going anywhere. You spend the next few years preparing wisely and you can put yourself in a good position to come here and have a nice career and life. You get in a hell-fired rush and you're going to screw the pooch is what you're going to do. Japan will still be here when you get ready.

Time for the standard questions:

Have you ever been here before? Why do you want to live here permanently?

I'm glad you came back and checked your thread, but I can't tell if your silence meant you understood, didn't understand, liked the answer you got, didn't like it, was satisfied by it, weren't satisfied by it, or what.

You have no further comments or questions regarding your own future?

You can google that yourself.

Would you want an education from a school that didn't give a damn if you could understand the classes well enough to pass them?

That's usually N1. Unless you're a super genus, there's no way in hell you're going to go from self-assessed.N5 to actually-passed-the-test N1 between now and December.

If you have that kind of money that is certainly an option.

That's probably your best choice.

Being in a hurry to get here just so you'll be here is a horrible way to achieve that goal. Japan isn't going anywhere. You spend the next few years preparing wisely and you can put yourself in a good position to come here and have a nice career and life. You get in a hell-fired rush and you're going to screw the pooch is what you're going to do. Japan will still be here when you get ready.

Time for the standard questions:

Have you ever been here before? Why do you want to live here permanently?

Everything Mike Cash said. I'm here as a PhD student and while I've only had a short intensive language course (I'm between a self-assessed N4 and N3 ;) after about 6 months of self-study), I have many foreign friends who went to undergrad here. It's N1 level to be admitted. For those who get the MEXT Undergrad scholarship, selected students take a year-long intensive language course (6 hrs every single day for a year) to learn *sufficient* (not fluent) Japanese; after that they take the regular entrance exams and begin their degree (i.e. 5 years total).
I'm all for being ambitious but you won't get there as quickly as you hope. I suggest another plan. Come to Japan for masters degree.

Back
Top Bottom