What's new

Udon eating thread

Lina Inverse

後輩
29 Apr 2004
うどん お 食べましょう! 👍
All this talk here about food made me hungry, so I'll be preparing myself some yummy Udon now! 😄
Who's with me there and wants to join the Udon eating party? 😄

How could I leave a thread like this alone??? :D

Kitsune udon has to be one of the best types I've ever had!!! 🎈

nooooooo!!

I never had Udon or any Japanese food in my life..the nearest Japanese restaurant is 2 hours drive by train :( to Brussels(capital city of Belgium) or Antwerp. :( :(

RockLee said:
I never had Udon or any Japanese food in my life..the nearest Japanese restaurant is 2 hours drive by train :( to Brussels(capital city of Belgium) or Antwerp. :( :(
Gosh you unlucky guy ^^
The nearest is just down the street where I live :)

Well, I'm unlucky too. The nearest good (traditional) Japanese restaurant to me is a 1.5 hour drive away. Of course, if we're talking teppanyaki, those are everywhere(still at least 30 minute drive away), but I can't stand those.

きつねうどん

KitsuneUdon said:
Kitsune udon has to be one of the best types I've ever had!!! 🎈
Yotaro Usami, the founder of Matsubaya restaurant in Osaka (since 1893) invented kitsune udon, according to this page.

Hompo Matsubaya
3-8-1, Minami Semba, Chuo-ku, Osaka 542-0081 Japan
phone: +81(6)6251-3339

Kitsune Udon is pretty good!

I guess I am lucky I have about 2 good restuarants near me (Sushi Bar/Grill) Ichi-Bahn and FU JI, they are both ok.. Ichi-Bahn is the best.. Thanks to Glenn for telling me about that one!

Bezz,

That was pretty interesting.
I pretty much eat Kitsune Udon for snack/breakfast quite often. I love the 100yen shops here that sell them, but I get weird looks when I go buy about a weeks worth of Udon. I think my favorite instant brand is Akai Kitsune Udon by Maruchan.

Well, as for other noodles here in Japan. I loved this little Mom&Pop ramen shop in Shizuoka called Min-Min Ramen. They had the best Shio Ramen I had ever eaten in Japan. I came to this conclusion after travelling down to Osaka, Hiroshima, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, then over to Matsuyama, and after that all the way up to Sendai, Tsuruoka, and Niigata. All along the way I tried various ramen shops' Shio Ramen and never found any that could compair.

Good stuff!

Udon-Suki is very good too. It's Sukiyaki with udon in it. yummy!

But you can't get it in the U.S., not even in Little Tokyo in LA.

bezz said:
Yotaro Usami, the founder of Matsubaya restaurant in Osaka (since 1893) invented kitsune udon, according to this page.

Hompo Matsubaya
3-8-1, Minami Semba, Chuo-ku, Osaka 542-0081 Japan
phone: +81(6)6251-3339
This kitsune udon looks very tasty indeed 👍
If I only knew where I could get it over here...

bezz said:
This page says that Restaurant Mimiu in Osaka was the first place serving udon-suki back in 1928.

Yes. Thanks for posting that. It's in Sakai city of Osaka-fu. My family had a family re-union there in 1970 or so.

I just had lunch at Little Tokyo. Had nabeyaki udon and a side order of sashimi. :gohan:

Nice, but I'd modify the recipe a bit, so here's my very own udon recipe 👍
リナーうどん (Lina-Udon)
1. Chop 200 grams of pork into bite-sized pieces. Dice an onion and a few cloves of garlic. Take 30 grams of fresh snow peas, remove their strings, then chop them into 4-cm lengths. Slice three chilies into thin stripes. Remove the stem from a shiitake mushroom, then slice the remaining part into thin pieces. Chop some mitsuba (stone parsley) to lengths of about 3 cm.

2. Pour three cups of water into a pot, bring it to a boil, then add the pork. When the pork is lightly cooked, add the onion and simmer for a while. Skim as needed.

3. Add the garlic, snow peas, chilies, and shiitake, in that order. When the vegetables are lightly cooked, season with a tablespoon of strongly seasoned soy sauce.

4. Add the mitsuba and simmer for a few seconds. Dissolve three tablespoons of edible starch in an equal amount of cold water, then add it to the soup a little at a time, stirring constantly until the broth becomes a thick glaze.

5. In a separate pot, boil 300 grams of dried udon until cooked, then strain and place in large bowls. Cover the noodles with some broth which has been made by adding a strong, salty type of soy sauce and some sake.

6. Scoop the glazed broth over the noodles and broth, and top each bowl with a pinch of grated ginger.

頂きます!

Some more local speciality udon...

Mizusawa Udon (Ikaho township, Gumma pref.)

jigoku-1.jpg

Goto Udon (Goto island, near Nagasaki)

food5-1.jpg

Ise Udon (Ise city, Mie pref.)

Back
Top Bottom