What's new

Two Short Letters

ledojaeger

後輩
19 Jul 2015
Hello,
I'm going to write two short letters to two host families I had this last Summer. I'm hoping to keep it simple and thank them for the time I had. If anyone could critique my Japanese, I would be very appreciative. I'm pretty rusty, myself...

FAMILY 1
Hello everyone, are you well?
Thank you for everything in Summer. Thanks to you, I had a wonderful 2015.
Japan is a great place. I plan to major in Japanese and study there, so I hope to meet you again.
Spending time with you all, taking walks with (son), and more are memories I'll treasure forever. Happy new year.
皆さん、お元気ですか。
夏は色々ありがとうございました。(名前)のおかげで、素晴らしい2015を過ごしました。
日本は素敵なところです。日本語の専攻をして、そこで勉強するつもりですから、また会えるといいなと思います。
皆さんと時間を過ごすこととか(息子)と散歩することなどはずっと大切にする思いでです。
よいお年を迎えください。

FAMILY 2
Hello everyone, are you well?
Thank you for having me this year. Osaka is really wonderful. I wish I could have spent more time there.
Next year I'm planning to study abroad. I hope to get to see your wonderful family again.
Happy new year.
皆さん、お元気ですか。
夏は泊まらせていただいてありがとうございました。大阪は本当に素晴らしいです。そこでもっと時間を過ごせばよかったです。
来年日本で留学をするつもりです。また素敵なお家族に会えるといいなと思います。
良いお年を迎えください。

Looks very nice as is but I'll give you a few comments anyway.

Should 夏は be 夏には?

Maybe 思いでです→思いでになります。

I'd probably make this into an opinion.
大阪は本当に素晴らしいです。そこでもっと時間を過ごせばよかったです。
大阪は本当に素晴らしくてそこでもっと時間を過ごせばよかったと思います。

I'm not a native speaker so I don't know if they would read it the same way but at first I thought you were saying that you'd like to meet another wonderful family when you go on exchange next year. So maybe add the name like:
また@@@さんの素敵なお家族に会えるといいなと思います。

I need to write my homestay family too. It's been over 20 years yet we still keep in touch even though it was just a two week homestay. But I never replied to their last letter from over a year ago. :oops:

夏は is fine.:) 夏には works as a contrastive marker, so it has a nuance, for instance, "unlike in winter".

few minor corrections
1)
素晴らしい2015を過ごました。
皆さんと一緒に時間を過ごしたこととか(息子)と散歩したことなどはずっと大切にする思い出です。
There is no problem with 大切にする, but 大切にしたい is more appropriate.

2)
来年日本留学するつもりです。
家族, since it's on'yomi.
I would say simply また皆さんにお会いできるといいなと思います。 instead.

Back
Top Bottom