What's new

Two sentences

Astralogic

先輩
10 Aug 2014
巨大な茸が生い茂る迷いの森、けっして解ける事がない サブレ山氷壁迷路・・・・・・。

This is a sentence on the back of a game box, and I find this one (the second part at least) rather difficult indeed. The first half seems simple "The giant mushroom overgrown forest of confusion" to be very literal.

けっして解ける事がない to me appears to be "solving is certainly not possible", solving, I think, is referring to the ice labyrinth referred to at the end.

サブレ山氷壁迷路 to me this looks like "The ice labyrinth on Mount Sabura", or maybe "The Mount Sabura ice labyrinth".

Now putting those three together, let's see if I can do this: "The forest of confusion, overgrown with giant mushrooms, the unsolvable ice labyrinth of Mount Sabura..." Did I understate unsolvable?

There is one final sentence which comes after this one, but I will leave that for now. So how did I do?

Thanks Toritoribe.

Here is the second sentence: 広大なマッピングには難所がいっぱい、数々の冒険で少年は成長する。

First, the word 'mapping', that should be 'map' in English right? Wide mapping = large map? It's a strange way to say large map but that must be what it means right?

I think it means: A large map full of impassable areas and many adventures that will turn boys into men.

広大は文字通り広くて大きいという意味です。マッピングは誤用かな。英語と同じ意味のはずだが、今回は確かにゲーム中のマップだという意味のようです。

難所は文字通りに難しい所という意味で、impassableは行き止まりという意味じゃないかと。difficultやtrickyのほうがどうかね?

Certainly you can take some freedom of interpretation with 成長する and I think your interpretation generally hits the mark. I would say "the boy grows and matures through the many adventures he faces" but I'm probably also adding some stuff that's not there. Translation is difficult.

Certainly you can take some freedom of interpretation with 成長する and I think your interpretation generally hits the mark. I would say "the boy grows and matures through the many adventures he faces" but I'm probably also adding some stuff that's not there. Translation is difficult.

I don't know if the text is referring to a specific boy or boys in general just by looking at the text.

少年 would refers the protagonist of the game.
The two phrases 巨大な茸が生い茂る迷いの森 and けっして解ける事がないサブレ山氷壁迷路 are examples of 難所.
Unlike the first one in your initial post, 広大なマッピングには難所がいっぱい and 数々の冒険で少年は成長する are sentences, as Morphling-san translated.

The two phrases 巨大な茸が生い茂る迷いの森 and けっして解ける事がないサブレ山氷壁迷路 are examples of 難所.

Interesting, I didn't notice that, and I feel like I should have. Probably because I separated the two sentences :/

Back
Top Bottom