What's new

Travelling to USA with children from Japan

VangelisD

Registered
Ratings
Hi all, sorry my first post is already private, but I need some suggestions.

My kids are in Japan with their mother who is a Japanese citizen. I am in USA; a US citizen, and she wants to come visit me with them, however they are dual citizens but one of them doesn't have his passport at the moment and I can't get the documents out in time.

They will be staying a short time (less than a week,) so I was thinking if it would be a problem for them to use just their Japanese passports to travel as visitors? Also, has anyone else had experience in this situation? I'd really appreciate some feedback.

P.S. I am not the type to go "by the book" often AKA I don't always follow the rules, but I also would really not like to risk any permanent problems, so if something were to happen, what would be the consequences, how could they find out? Thanks.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
They can travel on their Japanese passports. Having dual citizenship doesn't mean they have to use two passports when they travel.

VangelisD

Registered
Ratings
They can travel on their Japanese passports. Having dual citizenship doesn't mean they have to use two passports when they travel.
Okay, thanks. Their mom was telling me something that they might have trouble while leaving the US, but I thought that sounded ridiculous...

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
I haven't traveled since before 9-11 so take what I say with skepticism. It seems to me if they enter on Japanese passports they shouldn't have any trouble leaving on Japanese passports.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Staff member
Ratings
they'd likely be in for a hard time only if they entered on one passport and tried to leave with the other. Since their mother is a Japanese citizen, just have them all come with their Japanese passports and they can go through immigration together.

Ratings
Technically, US persons are supposed to use US passports to enter and leave the US (other countries--europe & SE asia--don't matter).

But I've heard of duals in your situation who only used their J-passports and had no trouble/questions.

VangelisD

Registered
Ratings
Thank you so much yall, you are giving me so much hope. I want to see my boys, can't go back to Japan till next year so I don't want any problems.

Ratings
Ha, I wish I saw this post earlier I would have been able to give you a direct answer, there a passport office right next door from the building I work at, plus I talk to one of the passport employee who could have gave me the answer to your question... oh well

anyhow... like everyone said.. your family will be fine to coming into the State with just their Japanese passport. As long they don't use another passport leaving which can result in going into the backroom for questioning. make sure they carry it everywhere they go.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Ratings
like everyone said
Like everyone said almost a month ago....

Trip's probably over and done with by now, don't you think?