What's new

Travel Traveling on a Dime - In Japan - Maybe this will help you all.

Grinning Studio

Japan Talent Promoter
20 Feb 2012
For any of you traveling in Japan, want to travel in Japan, interested in costs of travel and activities, or just want to learn about places to go and things worth doing in Japan, This series by Bryan - An American Expat living in Japan - is an entertaining place to get some info, ideas, and see some parts of Japan you don't see in the brochures.
[video=youtube;gnkFzpfXT3g]

and I deleted the old one from last year.

Uncle Frank

He plugged the video in two different threads today. We ought to charge this guy advertising rates. The only time he shows up is when he wants to plug something. I bet a google search would turn up other forums he has spammed this to today.

He plugged the video in two different threads today. We ought to charge this guy advertising rates. The only time he shows up is when he wants to plug something. I bet a google search would turn up other forums he has spammed this to today.

Why does what I do bother you so much? Have you even watched the video? What I posted is new, and on topic. It's a video series about traveling in Japan. Advertising? I'm not selling anything. This content is free, and helpful. People like you make me not want to be a part of this community, so kindly return to your bridge troll.

So it's just a coincidence that the TOD videos are hosted on the Grinning Studios channel on YouTube, that there is a TOD subdomain on your Grinning Studios vanity blog, and that the only time you ever show up here is when you want to try to attract traffic to your vanity blog? Got it. Have you and the guy in the videos ever been photographed together?

Mike, I understand your point. I even agree that posting advertisements in a forum is not good for the forum. But when the content matches the topic of the forum, and is useful to the users of that forum, it is not a good idea to tell those people not to post.

As for Grinning Studios - I help many creative people do creative things, and I help people that are interested in those things find the content. There are many different kinds of content Grinning Studios hosts, most of it is not related to this forum. I am posting the content on this forum that is specifically useful to the community of this forum. It isn't spam, it isn't advertisement, it is on topic, useful content.

I am as active as any other member in the Travel threads of the jref forum, that is to say, most posters do not post often in this forum. Perhaps it is because people like you are hijacking their threads with off topic, whiny drivel? If you don't like the TRAVEL IN JAPAN content I am posting in the TRAVEL IN JAPAN threads of this forum, then don't watch or read it. You are not helping anyone, you are just being rude. Now thank you for your comments, but please (I mean this with respect when I say please,) stop taking over other peoples threads and changing the topic.

This thread is about traveling in japan, and a specific bit of content that can help people make the most of their travel in Japan. Talk about that, not about ME - about the content.

But in your activity here you are the content. The only time you poke your nose in the door is to promote yourself. Pretend otherwise all you wish, but certainly you can't be so delusional as to think you're fooling anybody, except perhaps yourself.

I have asked you nicely to stop taking over my thread. If you have nothing usefully on topic to add to the discussion, kindly stop posting, and find some other community member to harass.

Mike,

My name is Grin Isobe if you must know. You can Google me all you want, if that is your fetish. If you want to see what I look like, visit the other videos on that channel, I'm a bald, dopey-looking, white guy. You can't miss me! You will also find Linh Vien Thai, Bruce Schofield, Bryan (but you know about him,) Anders Hagman, and a few others. We all are creative people in Japan doing creative things to share FOR FREE to people interested in Japan. Even whiny-trolls. What is your angle? Is this fun for you? You are a disease to this community. Cut yourself out and save us the trouble.

Yet none of you ever show up here to do any on the day-to-day work of helping answer people's questions. Just you, once in a blue moon, and only when a post fulfills the self-serving goal of attracting hits to your vanity site. You're about as far as one can get from being a member of this community and most certainly are in no position to cast aspersions on the nature of my contributions. You can keep repeating the words "whiny" and "troll" all you want, but they're not going to misdirect much notice from the very obvious fact you're simply an attention wh0re unabashedly using the forum to feed your narcissism.

I'll put my useful, helpful and unselfish posts up against yours any day.....since anything beats zero.

Yet none of you ever show up here to do any on the day-to-day work of helping answer people's questions. Just you, once in a blue moon, and only when a post fulfills the self-serving goal of attracting hits to your vanity site. You're about as far as one can get from being a member of this community and most certainly are in no position to cast aspersions on the nature of my contributions. You can keep repeating the words "whiny" and "troll" all you want, but they're not going to misdirect much notice from the very obvious fact you're simply an attention wh0re unabashedly using the forum to feed your narcissism.

I'll put my useful, helpful and unselfish posts up against yours any day.....since anything beats zero.

1. Vanity site - YouTube is a vanity site? Urban Dictionary: Vanity - Is YouTube a vanity site?

2. I post valuable, entertaining, useful content, on topic. You post responses mostly - very critical, often rude, responses.

3. "Whiny," and "troll" - if the shoe fits.

4. The only misdirection here is you are turning a travel in Japan topic into an argument meant to discredit me, and my posts. Your Ego and self importance is noted, but unnecessary.

5. Thanks for the attention.

6. Are you satisfied that you have made your point yet? Are you trying to convince me that I am a bad person? Or are you trying to defame me in a public forum? One is commendable, the other is liable.

7. You can always PM me about your disapproval of my posts. Doing it publicly is just being, as you so eloquently stated, "an attention wh0re."

Any other choice words? Going to call me names again? Insult me? By all means, if it makes you feel important, go ahead. Free country and all that right? Wrong, this is a forum and there are rules. I'm pretty sure that trolling is not acceptable. Can't say I mind too much, your attention is flattering, but please start your own topic on the merits of your opinions, and stop using mine to further your vitriolic personal assault.

If you dislike insulting words, the time to think about that was before you started throwing them around. If the attention wh0re stilettos fit, wear them.

If you dislike insulting words, the time to think about that was before you started throwing them around. If the attention wh0re stilettos fit, wear them.

Love them. Keep them coming. Doesn't affect me at all. It does affect you, or your persona at least. Yes, Wear those "stilettos." They fit you well.

Love your lame "I'm rubber, you're glue" juvenile attempts at refutation as well.

Love your lame "I'm rubber, you're glue" juvenile attempts at refutation as well.

Thank you, Mike. The trope seems to have gained some admiration from you. Sarcasm isn't one of your strong points is it?

Do you have any questions about the video series? Or about the tips and advice on traveling that Bryan explains in any of the videos?

Thank you, Mike. The trope seems to have gained some admiration from you. Sarcasm isn't one of your strong points is it?

Do you have any questions about the video series? Or about the tips and advice on traveling that Bryan explains in any of the videos?

None whatsoever. Should I? You want me to actually watch them and critique them or something?

None whatsoever. Should I? You want me to actually watch them and critique them or something?

Sure! If you have something to add to the conversation on the topic, I think everyone would be thankful for that. Now that you mention it, you have some very attuned opinions. You could be very helpful by critiquing the content. Who better to say it like it is than someone who already has a negative bias before viewing. Have at it good man! And thank you.

I have no bias regarding them, just as I have no interest in them. Why would you presume I have a bias against the videos? The entire objection I have is regarding the nature of your participation here, not the content of what you're linking to.

As a non-tourist who doesn't think in terms of how many dollars something is, what sort of content in the video might I expect to find useful? The video titles and descriptions I saw made it obvious I'm not in the target audience, so I haven't bothered watching any of them. If I want information on things to see and do in Japan, I find than the most useful and ample information is to be found in Japanese. What's your guy giving out that I can't find on the Japanese side of the web?

I have no bias regarding them, just as I have no interest in them. Why would you presume I have a bias against the videos? The entire objection I have is regarding the nature of your participation here, not the content of what you're linking to.

As a non-tourist who doesn't think in terms of how many dollars something is, what sort of content in the video might I expect to find useful? The video titles and descriptions I saw made it obvious I'm not in the target audience, so I haven't bothered watching any of them. If I want information on things to see and do in Japan, I find than the most useful and ample information is to be found in Japanese. What's your guy giving out that I can't find on the Japanese side of the web?

I'm not an expert on what is available in Japanese. I don't know you, or what you know. I don't presume to tell you, individually, what is useful to you. Bryan has surprised me with his helpful travel information, but maybe it isn't for you. If you don't want to watch, and have no opinion on the content, then there is nothing more you can add to this conversation. I just figured, since you offered, you would turn your words into action. People won't always believe what you say, but they will believe what you do.

You seemed like an intelligent person. You write well enough. You have posted enough responses. I just thought you might add something to the conversation. Show people why this content isn't appropriate for this forum. But instead, you have basically inferred that you know nothing of the content.

I was sincere in offering to watch and critique them, but having the offer met with presumptions of negative bias sort of makes that impossible, don't you think? After all, it precludes any non-positive observations on my part (to avoid the appearance of bias) and thus also precludes any honest assessment. So that leaves me in a position of looking like I'm backing down and sucking up (affirming the presumption of bias by going out of my way to avoid the appearance of it) or that if I include any unfavorable remarks....well, whaddaya expect....the guy's biased, after all. You put me in a classic "Are you still beating your wife?" conundrum with that.

I see. Well, I hope you will forgive me. So I apologize. I did also find a video that may be of interest to you. According to your profile, you live in Gunma. Have you heard about the Minakami Bungie jumping, in Gunma?
[video=youtube;6h0G73Ft2BU]

Last edited:
For any of you traveling in Japan, want to travel in Japan, interested in costs of travel and activities, or just want to learn about places to go and things worth doing in Japan, This series by Bryan - An American Expat living in Japan - is an entertaining place to get some info, ideas, and see some parts of Japan you don't see in the brochures.
[video=youtube;gnkFzpfXT3g]

A good series of guides for those who want to travel outside the usual tourist spots, but are frightened off .. thinking it will cost the earth.

I have some young relatives coming out to visit us in Japan later in the year ... I'll point them toward this guide.

A good series of guides for those who want to travel outside the usual tourist spots, but are frightened off .. thinking it will cost the earth.

I have some young relatives coming out to visit us in Japan later in the year ... I'll point them toward this guide.

Thanks. If they have any questions, Bryan is quick to respond to comments on the videos. He has also been known to help people out on getting better prices, or finding better options.

Back
Top Bottom