What's new

Translation

MadeleineTh

後輩
29 Jan 2018
Hello for everyone!
It is a pleasure to be here! My name is Madeleine and I hope we can be good friends.
I am not used to JAPAN REFERENCE rules yet; please, be patient with me.

I'm Chilean and my husband is Brazilian. We love Asian culture at all since we were little and we respect it a lot.

I managed to translate most of the pages of Yamagata Ishio-san's Rokka no Yuusha, however I am facing some problems related to reliable sources, specially due to non-competent translators.

I presented the Project Rokka no Yuusha to my academic researchers and professors and they agreed I can use it as a theme of my presentation. The theme will be "How fiction and non-fiction stories can transform lifes in the 21st century?"

Just for curiosity, I found Rokka volumes thanks to one of my professors, who is Japanese and since then, I became a big fan of Yamagata's stories. I tried to change Rokka to Tatakau Shisho but, you know, sometimes professors act like more "dictators" than "advisors'' :)

Would you be so kind as to help me translating these attached files? They are the remaining pages I have to present to complete my term paper. I could wait to Yen Press to finish all translations however we are almost finishing it here and the date of the presentation was set up to June 2018.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Sincerely yours,

Madeleine.

Attachments

• Rokka Archive 1 (27).jpg
    Rokka Archive 1 (27).jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 149
I'm so sorry, Toritoribe-san.
I don't know Japanese language and because of that I need your help.
I managed to translate most of the pages because I hired a translator and my husband was helping me, but since the translator is giving me many problems and my husband is on a business travel, I can't afford myself to wait any longer due to my presentation.
Could you please help me?

Just to satisfy my curiosity: Why do you need the complete series translated for your paper? Why are the three novels that have already been translated to English or your own translations not enough?

Just to satisfy my curiosity: Why do you need the complete series translated for your paper? Why are the three novels that have already been translated to English or your own translations not enough?
Unfortunately, we presented the latest novel for the paper and when we tried to change, it was already late. We are working with 6 novels (3 fictional and 3 non-fictional). Regarding on Rokka, we found another problem. We found some pages missing and, as a matter of fact, the translations we presented were very poor. So, our professors advised us to get a better reference for translation.

None of this makes any sense. Why would you propose to base your paper on a book in a language you don't know, which you haven't read, which you can't read, and which hasn't even been translated yet? You promised to pull a rabbit out of a hat without even making sure there was a rabbit in there first.

And you know that the translator you paid did a crap job on all but these two pages, but having us do a good translation for free on two pages is going to solve your problem somehow?

Poor decision making on your part does not constitute a problem on our part.

Translation requests: please read first! | Japan Forum

What part don't you understand specifically? Please show us your translation first instead of asking to translate the whole pages.
<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

My translation:

"It's the same thing as the way you built your house. "Deaf" is the name of a person who is a deaf person, and a person who is "dear" is fated to die.
One night Bomark overheard a conversation about Hans.

- Look! That fool! You got money somewhere! "That's what a man who was close to Bomark said.

- Surely he stole it! Can we deliver it?

"But look, if it was he who stole it is a great deal, and he must be a very skilled thief."

After this conversation, these men seemed extremely lost.

"We'd better not even know!" Let's drink more!

And they began to drink and to laugh with the women. They, however, seemed to have an opinion different from that of men.

- Is not it! He was in that pose of traveling and walking because he has been saving for a long time ... And now he will spend.

Bomark heard this conversation as he passed the street carrying a bag with drink inside. Suddenly he heard he was called from the roof of a little house. It was Hans, holding a drink in one hand and the other something gleaming like treasure.

- Hey! You! Bring that bottle here, meow!

Bomark felt an ice on his back as if he sensed his own death. No one paid attention to Hans who continued to speak:

- Hey! You can not go! You're different from me and not a cat! So get up the stairs here!

Bomark went up the stairs that were quite old and saw Hans drinking a glass of sake in one gulp.

- This ladder is really bad. You little fellow! Where did you come from with that money? Is that what you're thinking? Hans was talking drunk.

"No way, it's none of my business. Replied Bomark.

Hans laughed:

- I heard everything they're talking about, but if I were to tell you ... You can not tell everything in one night ... How annoying! Seriously you do not mind? Meow!

Bomark looked right at him and it seemed Hans still did not know anything about it ... until:

-... What's up? How's Mrs. Tauri doing? Hans asked abruptly.

Bomark froze and decided to reply as if they were talking about anybody because Hans looked drunk.

"Why do you care?" I think it's okay, because if anything happened, we'd already know.

- Truth? All right then!

Hans replied with the face of someone who was talking about somebody else, and that eased Bomark. There was no reason for Hans to have discovered anything ...

- You are having fun? Do not you want to drink? Hans poured Bomark a glass.

"I do not like it, I'm just here.

- You're a serious guy! Hans shrugged.

"Is that the way you use your money?"

"It's not every time I do it that way ... but this way I use money is not bad either, right?

Bomark's head was full. What was he supposed to say to Hans? ... Why did he act that way and did not want to join the group of the Heroes of the Six Flowers?

And he ended up asking Hans:

"And what are you going to do to me?"

- I'll kill you! Hans answered in a soft voice.

Hans spoke so naturally, and in such a light voice that I even thought he was joking, but deep down I felt my heart were preparing for death. As I looked at Hans's face, I began to remember many things about my past, moments of sadness and anger. And I also remembered why I was there, Tauri had asked me to do an investigation. This whirlwind of feeling entered Bomark's heart silently, as if he were really preparing for his destiny, which was to die.

He thought, "Am I going to die right now away from Tauri?" However, thinking well until my life was long. Then Bomark asked Hans. "So it's true, are you going to kill me?" "Like Hans, Bomark spoke softly and calmly.

And Hans replied:

- Meow! That's what you want, is not it?

And Bomark replied:

"I think we're wasting our time here, are not we, Hans?" Spend your energies on me?

- That's what you're talking about! I'm not that kind of person you think. I'm just a little drunk now, but I'll definitely win.

- I can be tough too! Bomark answered Hans.

"Is it true?" Hans asked nonchalantly.

Hans was so finished that it did not look like he was going to fight against Bomark, and this one, in turn, came to reflect that their meeting was not so bad; he pondered that, in fact, perhaps, Hans did not want to confront him.

- Ah! There's no way, is there? I think I'll give up fighting you! But apparently this is not something I can go back to, right? So I'm going to have to kill him here and now. Hans was rambling too much; now he said that he would kill him; another time, he said otherwise; now he said that he would give up; and everything he kept repeating, all at once.

"And how will Mrs. Tauri be?" Asked Bomark.

- Ah! I do not know. I have nothing to do with her, "answered Hans.

"Then in that case, I need not worry. I'm the one who should die, right? Asked Bomark.

- You intend to make your last breath.

None of this makes any sense. Why would you propose to base your paper on a book in a language you don't know, which you haven't read, which you can't read, and which hasn't even been translated yet? You promised to pull a rabbit out of a hat without even making sure there was a rabbit in there first.

And you know that the translator you paid did a crap job on all but these two pages, but having us do a good translation for free on two pages is going to solve your problem somehow?

I apologize in advance, Mike. We are in five people in our group. We had started the project of our paper in January 2016. The people who presented the idea first were two members of our group who are Japanese descendants. Since they presented the scope, they organized the idea and most part of the material, they were chosen as our leaders (1st leader; 2nd leader). Most of the novels which were chosen were in English like Spice & Wolf. Since most of the members enjoyed light novels so much, we agreed to choose only the novels we already read.

But, the 1st leader made a mistake in the day which we were designated to present the novels we had decided to work on. Instead of putting on the academic form, 'Rokka no Yuusha Volume 1', he put 'Rokka Archive 1'. Then, no-one had paid attention to that single detail.

Of course, most of the members don't know Japanese language (just the two leaders and two of our professors). My knowledge is very poor.

So, the second leader realized the mistake, but she got the responsability of the translation to her, asking us to not get worried about that. The other members protested, but, according to the second leader, she already found some first pages of the novel in English on the net and since we were dealing with a race against time, we finally agreed to leave it to her.

In May 2016, we designated the jobs for each member. These jobs were related to do researchs, interviews, critical analysis, author's biography, development and conclusion - I'm just putting some of the activities ok! There were also jobs related to the preparation for wirtten review and presentation. We made the first presentation on April 2017.

Everything was going well until in June 2017, our second leader had an accident and stayed in bed for about five months.

And then our problems started ...

Last edited:
Is that supposed to be a translation of the file you attached?

Now, regarding on the translator we have hired. She did her job greatly, but after some translations, she started to complain a lot of about the payment, mixing professional problems to personal ones. After a few translations, one of the professors told us that he found many mistakes and so we got ourselves in another trouble because the first leader was already busy doing another job. I must say I somewhat agree to you. Although we make our plans or try to organize them to follow a course, we always find a stone to block or interrupt our way. It's inevitable! I respect the Japanese, their language and strong sense of duty and organization. They are wonderful, however, every single thing that I learned until today were related to the activities which were done for the paper. If we hadn't agreed to the terms of the presentation's theme on the day we needed to present our choice, we had to present another suggestion, but at that time, no-one in the group, except our leaders, were ready to do that. We were very lost at the beginning. I am so sorry again for taking your time. If you could help me, I would be very grateful. I am so sorry fo my English; I wrote this message quickly.

And it exactly shows that it's actually not your translation. Now I'm wondering what kind of "best" you tried...

The pages you posted talk about an evil force that takes on the form of a mouse and spies on a female "saint" (priestess?) called Roronia. There's no mention of a Hans or Bomark anywhere.

Either way, a professional translator would be able to translate these few pages in less than a day. And even if you can't find anyone else to do it by June, I wouldn't say the events described here are so important that you can't make a presentation about the novel without them. Apparently Roronia isn't the first victim either, so you probably already know what the mouse is planning to do with her.

The pages you posted talk about an evil force that takes on the form of a mouse and spies on a female "saint" (priestess?) called Roronia. There's no mention of a Hans or Bomark anywhere.

Either way, a professional translator would be able to translate these few pages in less than a day. And even if you can't find anyone else to do it by June, I wouldn't say the events described here are so important that you can't make a presentation about the novel without them. Apparently Roronia isn't the first victim either, so you probably already know what the mouse is planning to do with her.
I know exactly what you all mean but when I said "I've tried my best", I was worried about my schedule and so I decided to count on a friend's translation. He knows Japanese, but just the basic. I talked to him and he told me he made a confusion. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, I am not interested to learn the language. I am worried to help my friends with the paper and for that I need to have the proper translation. My apologies once again! The events are important because without the paper we suggested we won't get our degree :) Could you please think about it carefully? It just this archive that I need so much! Thanks in advance.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, I am not interested to learn the language.

Maybe we didn't make ourselves clear enough:

before posting a translation request, please make sure that

- your request is reasonably short
In order to get an impression of what sort of translation requests are common and acceptable, please browse this subforum before submitting your own question.

- translation requests are related to your language studies
Translation requests that are not study-related (manuals, technical instructions, etc) will most likely be ignored.

Your request is not reasonably short.

Your request is not related to your Japanese language studies.

If you lack the language skills, then hire a competent translator. We're not going to do it for you for free.

Maybe we didn't make ourselves clear enough:

before posting a translation request, please make sure that

- your request is reasonably short
In order to get an impression of what sort of translation requests are common and acceptable, please browse this subforum before submitting your own question.

- translation requests are related to your language studies
Translation requests that are not study-related (manuals, technical instructions, etc) will most likely be ignored.

Your request is not reasonably short.

Your request is not related to your Japanese language studies.

If you lack the language skills, then hire a competent translator. We're not going to do it for you for free.
Ok. Thank you!

Guys, I've got an idea. Since I have no idea about the Japanese ideograms, could you please at least write down the text? I can use a dictionary to guide me later and I believe I won't be doing anything wrong which can be considered against the rules of the community. What do you think?

Or maybe paragraph by paragraph? You can evaluate me by the answers that I will present. After we finish studying a paragraph you can present another to me. Since you will present the answers I believe I will learn Japanese from my mistakes. Is that a bad idea?

Just a little while ago you said you're not interested in learning the language. Not that it matters though - even if you had the text in a copy-pastable format, I'm afraid you wouldn't get anywhere without any grammar knowledge. And of course, giving you the correct answer paragraph by paragraph would still mean us translating the entire thing, just over a longer period of time.

You already have experience hiring translators. You even have a friend who's willing to translate for you (for free, I presume) - he just got the wrong pages. You could've had a translation already by now, no?

Last edited:
Instead of putting on the academic form, 'Rokka no Yuusha Volume 1', he put 'Rokka Archive 1'.
(...)
In May 2016, we designated the jobs for each member. These jobs were related to do researchs, interviews, critical analysis, author's biography, development and conclusion (...)

(...) After a few translations, one of the professors told us that he found many mistakes and so we got ourselves in another trouble because the first leader was already busy doing another job.

It really doesn't make any sense. You decided to have a 300-page novel translated instead of convincing your professors to accept another volume from the series that has already been translated to English? From my understanding "Archive 1" also is not representative for the Rokka series, being a collection of short stories that portray the main characters, whereas the main story (so far) can be found in volumes 1-6.

If I understood you correctly you only need one book from the Rokka series. The other five titles are different light novels altogether. Right? Why would your professors insist on "Archive 1" specifically?

If I were you I would talk to them again and explain how it would be the best solution for everyone involved to work with the English translation of volumes 1, 2 or 3 and be done with it. That's where you should focus your energy.

It really doesn't make any sense. You decided to have a 300-page novel translated instead of convincing your professors to accept another volume from the series that has already been translated to English? From my understanding "Archive 1" also is not representative for the Rokka series, being a collection of short stories that portray the main characters, whereas the main story (so far) can be found in volumes 1-6.

If I understood you correctly you only need one book from the Rokka series. The other five titles are different light novels altogether. Right? Why would your professors insist on "Archive 1" specifically?

If I were you I would talk to them again and explain how it would be the best solution for everyone involved to work with the English translation of volumes 1, 2 or 3 and be done with it. That's where you should focus your energy.
I am grateful for your suggestions, however the situation is not so simple. Our project has the support of AACD and some private institutions. Everything was done through contract. We made two changes before the first presentation and the professors gave us a warning that they would not tolerate further changes, fearing that this would affect the results of the work. Please, I'm begging for your help. This is the only page I need translated. I comprehend the rules and if I have no choice, I will study. I comprehended your position. My friend is traveling so he can not help me any more. Please just write the kanji paragraphs here for me. That will be enough for me. I believe it will be a good start.

Last edited:
After you've been PAYING someone to do poor translations, nobody is going to be eager to do a good translation for you for FREE. You might try offering to pay to have this done.

Back
Top Bottom