What's new

Translation Request ~ Hinomaru Yosegaki, Very Important to me

ADV1

Registered
Hello, This is my first post on this forum and I could really use some help. I have a Hinomaru Yosegaki that was gifted to me by my folks through a very good friend and neighbor. He is a collector of all things WWII and is at the advanced age where he is now parting with his collection. I too collect Japanese items as I have had direct connection with the Japanese selling high end manufacturing machines & tooling for the majority of my professional career. The request by our friend was that I find out what it means as he's always wanted to know. I too am very interested but I'll be honest, I'm concerned about disrespecting or hurting the feelings of my Japanese counterparts if I ask them to translate this. If anyone would be so kind as to help me with this translation it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

mdchachi

Staff member
Ratings
1 237
The soldier's name looks like Yamada (山田). First name (正治) could be Masaharu (but there are other possibilities).
The top part (武運長久) is the standard wishes for long strength/life in battle.
All the names written would be his family, neighbors, coworkers, classmates, etc.
Maybe somebody else can determine the town.

Last edited: