What's new

Translation on this Yosegaki Hinomaru Flag

Ferrucci

Collecting (Returned or sold Antique in Japan)
28 May 2015
こんにちは!!
I've would like sensei here in lending a helping hand in helping to translate this Yosegaki Hinomaru, is that possible?
どうもありがとうございました.....
Special thanks to Majestic and Toritoribe for previous help ;)
f4crt7ye5n2o0.jpg
iz2on8tfrbj5v.jpg
8n2mzgaov0951.jpg
94t7hoslyk5qz.jpg
2bxraj9chv4n3.jpg
s8edkluotycwg.jpg

Whats the 4 Kanji character at the right hand side?

The 4 characters on the right side are sa-mu-ha-ra.

A bizarre set of kanji. I have never seen them before. Turns out they are not kanji. They are supposedly kanji that predate the importation of kanji into Japan from China (or so the myth goes), and are a genre all their own called Shindaimoji (or Kanna).

サムハラ神社 - Wikipedia
神字

That's a very interesting kanji to know.
Thank you Majestic for the additional info,

Other than that, anything can be extracted from this flag?

Is it a go to war flag?

Any post or station it belong?

Whole love to know more about this piece

Next to Sa Mu Ha Ra (the kanji are so strange they don't even show up in the MS kanji dictionary) is the name of the person to whom the flag was presented - 大島義雄君 ŌSHIMA Yoshio (kun).

The two red stamps have the name of two shrines:
国幣大社南宮神社 > Kokuheitaisha Nangū Jinja. This is a big shrine in Gifu. The words "Kokuheitaisha" are a pre-1945 appellation identifying the shrine as an important shrine of high rank in the Shinto hierarchy.
伊奈波神社 > Inanami Jinja. This is another shrine in Gifu, quite close to the above shrine.

Might have been a flag given to Mr. Ōshima by a community close to the above shrines. So many names on it...
Above the red stamps are the kanji 清明院加藤澄心護書 which I wouldn't know how to render into English, but I presume they may be the name of the principal priest of one/both of the shrines.

Slightly to the left of that, jumbled among the many signatures, are the words 撃米英 (Strike/shoot the Americans and Brits)

The rest - excepting of course the 祈武運長久 at the top - are names.

Domo Arigato, Majestic-san,

your translation skills do gave me more understanding on this flag.

your help are grateful to me.

Back
Top Bottom