What's new

Translation of this phrase? (research project)

Helen~

後輩
31 Jan 2018
When handing in a description for a research project I plan to do, my instructor told me she couldn't understand what I wanted to say with one phrase and that I should rewrite it. However, I just can't figure out the correct expression on my own. How would you say the following phrase in Japanese?

I'm especially interested in how people from different cultures use different expressions when talking about the same thing.

I hope someone can help! 'w'

What part or expression can't you figure out specifically? Please show us your translation first, then we'll be able to help you.

What part or expression can't you figure out specifically? Please show us your translation first, then we'll be able to help you.
Sure! Sorry for not including it form the beginning. My go at it was:
様々な文化が同じ話題について話せるとき別の言葉を使うことに魅了にされていますから、[...].

In the sentence structure 文化が話題について話せる, 文化 is the subject of 話せる since 話題について is the object.
話せる is the potential form.
言葉 is ambiguous or unclear there. There is a more appropriate word for "expression".
You did a mistake in 魅了にされている, plus, 魅了 is more likely "fascinated" even in the correct expression.

In the sentence structure 文化が話題について話せる, 文化 is the subject of 話せる since 話題について is the object.
話せる is the potential form.
言葉 is ambiguous or unclear there. There is a more appropriate word for "expression".
You did a mistake in 魅了にされている, plus, 魅了 is more likely "fascinated" even in the correct expression.
Thank you for your explanations! Would this be better?:
様々な文化のメンバーが同じ話題について話すとき別の単語を使うことに興味があります。

Yeah, it's far better than the initial one. There is no problem in the sentence structure.
As for few words;
メンバー seems like that you are only talking about a specific group of people. Just 人々 is the best.
話題 is not bad, but it's more likely "topic". I would use こと or 事柄.
単語 just refers to "words", so it's narrow in meaning. 表現 is better for "expression".

Incidentally, my attempt is;
私は、文化の異なる人々が同じ事柄について話すとき、使用する表現がどう違うのかに特に興味があります。

Yeah, it's far better than the initial one. There is no problem in the sentence structure.
As for few words;
メンバー seems like that you are only talking about a specific group of people. Just 人々 is the best.
話題 is not bad, but it's more likely "topic". I would use こと or 事柄.
単語 just refers to "words", so it's narrow in meaning. 表現 is better for "expression".

Incidentally, my attempt is;
私は、文化の異なる人々が同じ事柄について話すとき、使用する表現がどう違うのかに特に興味があります。

Ah, I see - thank you very much, you always manage to explain things very well!

Back
Top Bottom