What's new

Translation of names in Newspapers

Laulo

Registered
16 Jan 2016
Hi there,

I am currently writing my Master thesis and for that I do need some quick help. The question right upfront: Do the names of western football players such as Thomas Müller, Robert Lewandowski or even Asian players like Son Heung-min get translated when used in Japanese Newspapers?

The reason why I'm asking is, that I need to figure out how often certain players are mentioned in Japanese media. For Japanese players such as the Dortmund midfielder Park Shinji Kagawa I use both his western name and his Japanese name as search terms. But what would I use for football players that are not Japanese? Do the Japanese media stick to their western names?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Hi there,
I am currently writing my Master thesis and for that I do need some quick help. The question right upfront: Do the names of western football players such as Thomas Müller, Robert Lewandowski or even Asian players like Son Heung-min get translated when used in Japanese Newspapers?

The reason why I'm asking is, that I need to figure out how often certain players are mentioned in Japanese media. For Japanese players such as the Dortmund midfielder Park Shinji Kagawa I use both his western name and his Japanese name as search terms. But what would I use for football players that are not Japanese? Do the Japanese media stick to their western names?
They use the western names written in Japanese. It's the same name but since there's not a one-to-one match western and Japanese sounds, it sounds different. It's not really translated but I guess it is translated in the sense that you are asking. They are written in Japanese alphabet, not English.
For example Thomas Muller becomes トーマス・ミュラー (TOOMASU MYURAA) and Robert Lewandowski becomes ロベルト・レヴァンドフスキ (ROBERUTO REVANDOFUSUKI). In Asian case they might do it this way or use kanji. Anyway easiest thing for you to do for famous people is to look them up in Wikipedia and then to go to the Japanese version of the page (which is what I did just now). Then you can copy/paste their names and do a web search in Japanese newspapers.

Anyway easiest thing for you to do for famous people is to look them up in Wikipedia and then to go to the Japanese version of the page (which is what I did just now). Then you can copy/paste their names and do a web search in Japanese newspapers.
Great, haven't thought about that. Thanks!

As for Korean players, they are almost always written in katakana, and not in kanji (e.g. not 孫興慜 but ソン・フンミン/ソンフンミン), so don't forget to search them in katakana name. My two cents.

Back
Top Bottom