What's new

Translation of lyrics

awoman

後輩
10 Jun 2017
Hello, can someone translate this sentence for me? いつかまた会いに来ると (あの日) 告げたまま 去って行った

Are you trying to translate the whole lyrics of the song? Don't you have any idea of what it means at all?

I already kind of translated the whole song. i just had a doubt about this sentence, not sure if it means "someday I'll come and see you again (that day) I said and just left" or "when you came and see me again (that day) did you just go and went away?". In the google translator it says "When I came to see you again, I told you I was leaving" but I don't think that's it. So confused...

Are you trying to translate the whole lyrics of the song? Don't you have any idea of what it means at all?

I'm sorry it's the first time I'm using this, actually even a forum, so I'm not sure where should I press to reply you. I'm coping what said and answering you here too.
I already kind of translated the whole song. i just had a doubt about this sentence, not sure if it means "someday I'll come and see you again (that day) I said and just left" or "when you came and see me again (that day) did you just go and went away?". In the google translator it says "When I came to see you again, I told you I was leaving" but I don't think that's it. So confused...

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to apologize. I merged your posts.
Those three translations are all wrong. いつかまた会いに来る is what she (= "you") said, thus, the subjects of 告げた and 去って行った are both "you".

No need to apologize. I merged your posts.
Those three translations are all wrong. いつかまた会いに来る is what she (= "you") said, thus, the subjects of 告げた and 去って行った are both "you".
Thank you so much for your help! Ok I think now I got it, so basically it says <"someday I'll come and see you again" (that day) she said and left> right?
wow you're so good at Japanese.... :)

By the way, I was also having trouble translating one more sentence,
今も消えぬ面影探してるよ
もう一度
this one I translated it like this: <I'm still looking for a face that won't disappear one more time> But I'm not sure if it's right, because I was thinking that could also mean, <I'm still looking for (traces of you or that moment of you or that image of you?) that (won't disappear or that it's gone now?), one more time>
I'm just not sure what is the best way to translate it. Thank you one more time for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I think now I got it, so basically it says <"someday I'll come and see you again" (that day) she said and left> right?
Right.

wow you're so good at Japanese....
Er, yeah might be so, since Japanese is my mother tongue...

By the way, I was also having trouble translating one more sentence,
今も消えぬ面影探してるよ
もう一度
this one I translated it like this: <I'm still looking for a face that won't disappear one more time> But I'm not sure if it's right, because I was thinking that could also mean, <I'm still looking for (traces of you or that moment of you or that image of you?) that (won't disappear or that it's gone now?), one more time>
I'm just not sure what is the best way to translate it.
My interpretation is that those are actually two sentences since もう一度今も面影(を)探してる is semantically odd. 会いたい would be omitted after もう一度 due to fitting to the rhythm/melody and also because it can be easily guessed from the context.
消えぬ is negative, and I would use "image" for 面影.

Right.

Er, yeah might be so, since Japanese is my mother tongue...

My interpretation is that those are actually two sentences since もう一度今も面影(を)探してる is semantically odd. 会いたい would be omitted after もう一度 due to fitting to the rhythm/melody and also because it can be easily guessed from the context.
消えぬ is negative, and I would use "image" for 面影.
wow... I'm speechless how clear you explain things... I've been studying Japanese all by myself... so never had anyone to ask in case of a doubt. I really appreciate it. That's way I really like using songs to learn as well, because I can read the sentence and hear the pronunciation too.
Ok, so I'll translate it this way, <I'm still looking for that image of you that it won't disappear. Once more time (I want to see you)>
By the way, can I ask you more questions when I have doubts? I don't know if you're studying another language, but just in case, if you need help with Spanish, Korean, don't hesitate to ask me :) French I have intermediate level but my nephew is bilingual so still can help you. Anyway, thanks a lot!

👍

Of course. This is exactly the place for that purpose.:)
Thank you very much!!! so happy that I found this forum!

I came across a few sentences that I'm not sure about. I realized that my problem is that I don't know how to differentiate who is the sentence referring to... he or she...
This are the sentences:
僕らが見上げた空を and i translated it as <the sky that we looked up>
寂しい時 思い出す here as <when I feel lonely I remember it>
そう話してたね いつも (いつも) here as <I always told you (always)>
あの空に夢を描く here I find dream and sky, but dont get it, so I look if someone had translated it somewhere and they have as <I draw my dreams in that sky> but I don't see why...
and here it's another sentence but from a different song:
長い暗闇を連れて来るのさ translated it as <it brings me a long darkness>

Thanks in adevance!

This are the sentences:
寂しい時 思い出す here as <when I feel lonely I remember it>
そう話してたね いつも (いつも) here as <I always told you (always)>
The key is 話したね. Unlike 話したね, this form shows that the subject is not the speaker, since 話してた is an objective expression. Thus, the subjects of 寂しい, 思い出す and 話してた are all "you".
It's close to the difference between 思っている and 思う. The following thread might be helpful for your understanding.
筆者は友人と話... / 自分はなぜ... / も / 玲姉 | Japan Forum

あの空に夢を描く here I find dream and sky, but dont get it, so I look if someone had translated it somewhere and they have as <I draw my dreams in that sky> but I don't see why...
に indicates the target the subject draws something on, and を is for the object the subject draws (e.g. 紙に絵を描く, 黒板に地図を描く), so "I draw my dreams in that sky" is correct.

and here it's another sentence but from a different song:
長い暗闇を連れて来るのさ translated it as <it brings me a long darkness>
That's correct in the lyrics of "Wake me up", but note that Japanese is a context-driven language, so the subject or target/indirect object can be completely different depending on the context (for instance, it can mean "I bring a long darkness" or "you bring me a long darkness"), thus, it's often nonsense to ask the meaning of a sentence without any context.

it's often nonsense to ask the meaning of a sentence without any context.
The key is 話したね. Unlike 話したね, this form shows that the subject is not the speaker, since 話してた is an objective expression. Thus, the subjects of 寂しい, 思い出す and 話してた are all "you".
It's close to the difference between 思っている and 思う. The following thread might be helpful for your understanding.
understood, thank you very much!

に indicates the target the subject draws something on, and を is for the object the subject draws (e.g. 紙に絵を描く, 黒板に地図を描く), so "I draw my dreams in that sky" is correct
now I get too. Thank you once again :)

That's correct in the lyrics of "Wake me up", but note that Japanese is a context-driven language, so the subject or target/indirect object can be completely different depending on the context (for instance, it can mean "I bring a long darkness" or "you bring me a long darkness"), thus, it's often nonsense to ask the meaning of a sentence without any context.
You are right... I didn't think about that, just thought the sentence I didn't get. Sorry and thank you for searching which song I was referring to.
To sum up, you have help me a lot! I really appreciate it :)

筆者は友人と話... / 自分はなぜ... / も / 玲姉 | Japan Forum

に indicates the target the subject draws something on, and を is for the object the subject draws (e.g. 紙に絵を描く, 黒板に地図を描く), so "I draw my dreams in that sky" is correct.

Ok, just to make sure... I'll translated it like this:
寂しい時 思い出す here as <when you feel lonely, remember it>
そう話してたね いつも (いつも) here as <you always told me (always)>

Ok, just to make sure... I'll translated it like this:
寂しい時 思い出す here as <when you feel lonely, remember it>
そう話してたね いつも (いつも) here as <you always told me (always)>
I found this translation,
The sky we looked up
Remember when you feel lonely
That's what I always talked about (always) <but here they say "I" instead of "you" so I thought maybe I didn't completely understand your explanation?>
Draw a dream in that sky <(although I know it's "I draw my dreams in that sky" thanks to you)>

Last edited:
Sorry for sending you so many messages, but the more I study it the more doubts seems to appear. I realized that in the song re:wind, there's also another sentence where I found a similar situation. Thus, this is the context and my original translation:
いつの間にか気がつけばこんなにも <before I noticed I realized>
近くに感じている I miss you <how close I feel to you>
僕の心 優しい風が包み <gentle breeze blows around my heart>
温もり感じている I miss you <i feel warm>
もう少しだけ(いて) yeah <just (stay) a little more>

but now, if I understood clear your explanation, I should have translated as:
いつの間にか気がつけばこんなにも <before I noticed I realized>
近くに感じいる I miss you <how close you feel to me>
僕の心 優しい風が包み <gentle breeze blows around my heart>
温もり感じいる I miss you <you feel warm> or maybe <I feel your warmth>
もう少しだけ(いて) yeah <just (stay) a little more>

Did I understand properly?

I found this translation,
The sky we looked up
Remember when you feel lonely
That's what I always talked about (always) <but here they say "I" instead of "you" so I thought maybe I didn't completely understand your explanation?>
No, it's simply the translation you found is wrong.

The sentence means "You always told me that when you felt lonely you remembered the sky we had looked up."

Did I understand properly?
Not all the -te form show that the speaker is not the subject. The -te form just indicates the present state there, thus, your initial translation is correct. The subjects are "I".

No, it's simply the translation you found is wrong.

The sentence means "You always told me that when you felt lonely you remembered the sky we had looked up."

Not all the -te form show that the speaker is not the subject. The -te form just indicates the present state there, thus, your initial translation is correct. The subjects are "I".
Ok, thank you so much for your kind help once again, sensei :)

Back
Top Bottom