What's new

Translation of a throw description in a fantasy book

Cala

後輩
10 Aug 2016
Hi!
I'm reading a fantasy book and this came up:

無造作に間をつめてくるタンダが、両手をバルサの首にのばした瞬間、バルサはタンダの両手首をつかみ、懐にとびこむように身をしずめて、ぶんっとねじった。タンダの身体が宙に舞った。大きな投げではなく、受け身をとる隙をあたえない、地にたたきつける、鋭い投げだった。地面にたたきつけられたタンダは、さすがに一瞬、動きを止めた。

バルサは、タンダの右腕の関節をとったまま、タンダの身体をうつぶせにして、膝で背の一点をおさえた。このツボをおさえられると、息ができなくなる。しかも、腕の関節がここまで固められていれば、激痛で、動くどころか、声もだせなくなるのだ.

I'm trying to understand what is actually going on here. I'm fine with Balsa grabbing Tanda's wrists, but then - 懐にとびこむように身をしずめて、ぶんっとねじった - I think futokoro here is chest, and the shizumeru is probably the sinking one(though the author didn't use the kanji), so I get the idea of Balsa lowering herself towards Tanda's? chest, then twisting his wrists. Next thing I know he's in the air though, so how does that work?

She somehow throws him onto the ground, but according to バルサは、タンダの右腕の関節をとったまま, she never let go of his right wrist while throwing him? She then flipped him onto his front, put her knee somewhere special on his back to make it hard to breathe. She's still holding his wrist, so I get that it's probably pretty twisted and painful now, but why is it described as hardened (固められて)?

Can anyone offer some suggestions for the bits that confuse me?

Thanks as always,
Cala

Presumably Balsa didn't twist Tanda's wrists, but her own body. Weblio points out that 捻る can mean 体を波打つように動かす.

Since she's still holding his wrist after he lands on the ground, she didn't literally send him flying, but merely lifted him up for a moment before throwing him down and putting him in a hold. (Judo?)

固められた isn't so much "hardened" here as it is "fixated", "pinned".

(A female fighter named バルサ... Hey, I've seen the anime 🙂:)

Last edited:
腕(の関節)を固める also reminds us of 関節技 joint-locking techniques of judo or aikido.

Thanks guys. That's all cool then. She grabbed his wrists, stepped in and twisted her body to throw him.

Except for the bit about moving your body like a wave? What does that actually mean?

Yeah, it's that Balsa. She's great. :)
Sorry for the slight spoiler, in case you cared. Should I change the names in the future, or mark the thread as a Moribito spoiler?

Except for the bit about moving your body like a wave? What does that actually mean?
Who knows - it might not even be applicable here. The important part is that 捻る can also be applied to one's entire body instead of only to one's hands.

Yeah, it's that Balsa. She's great. 🙂:
Sorry for the slight spoiler, in case you cared. Should I change the names in the future, or mark the thread as a Moribito spoiler?
It's always refreshing to see a badass female lead, isn't it. And there's no need for spoiler warnings in this case - it's just a single throw, hardly an important plot point. If anything, this thread might inspire others to pick up the book.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom