What's new

translation of a knitting pattern

MaddoxJKingsley

Registered
13 Feb 2015
Hello! I'm completely new to this forum, but something has come up that I really would like some help with. I have a set of knitting patterns which I am attempting to translate; however, some of the kanji are very blurry. Here is a link to the image with most text. As this is the best copy of the image I have found, it seems I just have to work with it. I can't read some of it very well. I'd like some help in identifying the kanji, particularly the ones which are compacted the tightest, such as the first line which says "ハマナカ?毛中?(ゲラデーション)(40g玉?)" Any help identifying any of it would be very helpful, so to anyone willing to help, I thank you.

Last edited:
ハマナカ純毛中細〈グラデーション〉(40g玉巻)

The rest relatively complicated ones, I think, would be;
模様編み(6th line)
胸囲(9th)
参照(12th)
輪にし(13th)
増しながら(14th)
縁編み(22nd)

ハマナカ純毛中細〈グラデーション〉(40g玉巻)
Ah, it seems so obvious that I look at it now...my eyes are bad. Thank you very much for the help.

Thank you for the rest as well, they've been bothering me all day when I try and read them.

Last edited:
I managed to write every kanji taken from the image of knitting instructions, and I can translate bits and pieces of it just fine. However, when I got to the 編み方 (knitting directions, if I have read that properly), I had trouble making sense of it. A lot of it is probably because I simply don't know Japanese knitting terms...or English knitting terms, for that matter. I may have also miswritten a couple kanji due to not being familiar with the usage, so here is the image I have been looking at. I would appreciate any help or direction in translating, and correcting that which I have gotten wrong. I do not wish to create a wall of text, so I will paste what confuses me most. ありがとうございます。
② ①に続けて、後ろ身ごろの7段を模様増みで往
② ①Continuing onward, knit the 7 rows on back of dress and increase the pattern's size. (?)​
後に編み(後の引き抜き編みは、まだ編まない)、糸を休めます。
[something about 往後] (after pulling out the knitting, don't weave it yet), lay down the thread.​
③ 前身ごろも②と同様に編み、編を休めます。
③ Before the body section is knitted as ② was, rest the knitting.​
④ ②の糸で、最後の引き抜き編みを編み、糸切ります。
④ Using the yarn from ②, knit the last slip stitch, then cut the thread.

② ①に続けて、後ろ身ごろの7段を模様みで往に編み(後の引き抜き編みは、まだ編まない)、糸を休めます。

③ 前身ごろも②と同様に編み、を休めます。

④ ②の糸で、最後の引き抜き編みを編み、糸切ります。

方 means "the way to~ / how to~" in 編み方.
The following site might be helpful to translate the pattern.
Knit Street: 編み物英略語 翻訳表

Ah, thank you! I had trouble finding this thread again -- this forum is very confusing to me.
As for the translations which I have attempted, are they along the right lines?

I moved your posts since those are already not "a word or phrase". Sorry for not informing you of this and causing your confusion.

You misread some kanji. Wrong words lead to wrong translation, off course...

Back
Top Bottom