What's new

Translation needed on WWII Japanese Prayer Flag

lkgmadmax

Registered
13 Jul 2014
I was wondering if someone in the forum might be able to assist in the translation of the enclosed flag.
Thanks in advance!
David
Jap Battle Flag.jpg

There are patriotic slogans and names written all over it. Some of the patriotic slogans can be found in the excellent list provided by Toritoribe-san in the link here.

Help - Kanji translation of WWII Yosegaki Hinomaru

On your flag I can see

七生報告 = Shichishouhoukoku (Unfailing devotion to country)
儘忠 = Loyalty/Patriotism
勇猛精進 = Unflagging courage

among others. I can pick out the last names of some of the signers: Takahashi, Kinoshita, Ota, Kakizawa, Yamada, Watanabe, Yamano.

It was given to someone with the first name of Tsutomu. Looks like just the first name was given, which seems very unformal, familiar. Maybe Tsutomu was someone very young. I can see the date Showa 18, or 1943. I can't make out the exact date, but it looks like maybe April 12th?

There are patriotic slogans and names written all over it. Some of the patriotic slogans can be found in the excellent list provided by Toritoribe-san in the link here.

Help - Kanji translation of WWII Yosegaki Hinomaru

On your flag I can see

ナスツオツ青カ窶「テアツ債 = Shichishouhoukoku ツ(Unfailing devotion to country)
ヒ愿披?吮?ー = Loyalty/Patriotism
窶忍窶禿陳青クツ進 = Unflagging courage

among others. I can pick out the last names of some of the signers: Takahashi, Kinoshita, Ota, Kakizawa, Yamada, Watanabe, Yamano.

It was given to someone with the first name of Tsutomu. Looks like just the first name was given, which seems very unformal, familiar. Maybe Tsutomu was someone very young. I can see the date Showa 18, or 1943. I can't make out the exact date, but it looks like maybe April 12th?

Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom