What's new

Translation Help With Yosegaki Hinomaru Flag

Tim Tynan

Kouhai
25 Nov 2017
I've recently acquired this flag aAnd seek your assistance. There is some specific information I'm looking for from the inscriptions, I'm already familiar with the Ki Buun Chokyu inscription at the top. This is what I hope to learn:

1. The name of the recipient?
2. Any other special sayings.
3. What is the inscription around the tiger drawing? Since its written differently I thought it of some special significance,

Attached are pictures of the flag at the best magnification I can do.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Tim

Attachments

• JYH Flag 05 irc.PNG
    JYH Flag 05 irc.PNG
    908.4 KB · Views: 345
  • JYH Flag 05 llc.PNG
    JYH Flag 05 llc.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 335
  • JYH Flag 05 ulc.PNG
    JYH Flag 05 ulc.PNG
    784.7 KB · Views: 354
  • JYH Flag 05 urc 1.PNG
    JYH Flag 05 urc 1.PNG
    788.1 KB · Views: 386
  • JYH Flag 05 urc 2.PNG
    JYH Flag 05 urc 2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 393
  • JYH Flag 05.PNG
    JYH Flag 05.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 570
Next to the tiger it says

昭和二十年七月十八日
京?第二十二?部隊
入隊記念

Can you take it from there? Let me know if you need more help.
Next to the tiger there is the name 鈴木孝雄 (Suzuki Takao, but I don't know if that's the recipient. It looks like it says 鈴木孝雄君, which would be how you address the recipient, so I think that's your man. However it's not written very strongly, and I would have expected the recipient's name to be written a bit more boldly than the weak-ish Suzuki Takao written above.

Next to the tiger it says

昭和二十年七月十八日
京?第二十二?部隊
入隊記念

Can you take it from there? Let me know if you need more help.
Next to the tiger there is the name 鈴木孝雄 (Suzuki Takao, but I don't know if that's the recipient. It looks like it says 鈴木孝雄君, which would be how you address the recipient, so I think that's your man. However it's not written very strongly, and I would have expected the recipient's name to be written a bit more boldly than the weak-ish Suzuki Takao written above.

Thank you very much Majestic. I'm afraid I must impose on you for additional help translating the kanji you've shown above. I only know a few sayings from that seem standard on many other flags. Thanks.

The first line is the date: Showa 20th, July 18th. (I'm not 100% positive of the day, because it is a funny way to write 8, but I'm not sure what else it could be. What I am seeing as a two-character word for "18", might just be a funky-looking "6". But my best guess is 18, and at any rate I think a date variance of a week or two isn't super-important to you at this stage.

The second line is identifying a regiment: 22nd Kyo-something regiment. I can't read the symbol after Kyo. (The thing that obviously pops into mind is Kyoto, but I don't think this is it. I'm not entirely sure of the regiment number, but it looks like 22.

The third line says "Congratulations on your enlistment"

Actually you can get most of this on your own if you copy and past the Japanese into Google and look for English translations.

The second line is 第二八部隊 "28th regiment". I can't read the kanji next to 京, either.

Another slogan 祈健康健闘 "Hope your health and brave fight" under the tiger. To the right of it, there is the signature of the painter 寅年ノ男 満(岩?)画 "A man of the year of the tiger painted by (Mangan?)".

Next to 祈健康闘 is the name of a school.
The name of the school looks like 野田青年学校 (Noda Seinen Gakkō), but I'm not sure about 野田.
It might be a school in Ishikawa prefecture. There was a "seinen gakkō" in Ishikawa prefecture in a city formerly known as Noda.
石川青年師範学校 - Wikipedia

(The second 健 in 祈健康健闘 looks funny. Maybe it is 校?)

Thank you very much Majestic and Toritoribe. I didn't consider using Google to translate the kanji. Its my understanding that the use of kanji has changed somewhat since the 1940s. Is that correct?

Your assistance has been a great help.

For short words and phrases, any search engine will provide you with useful translations.
The main difference in kanji usage is that some of the 3000 or so kanji that are considered basic, everyday kanji, have been simplified. Many kanji, if not most, retain their original form. Of the words and phrases above, all of these kanji are exactly as they appear today. In other words, a high school kid could read those phrases with no problem.

But even if these phrases contained old/traditional characters, the search engines could still recognize them.

Back
Top Bottom