What's new

Translating documents (marriage) in Osaka?

KashimaKing

Kouhai
6 Oct 2015
Good Morning,

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but i wondered if someone has experience in this or can help me with some much needed advice.

I am planning to marry my Japanese partner in February and in preparation for this, I am going to the British embassy in Tokyo soon to sign and make an affirmation, which is basically a document to prove I am able to marry.

Anyway, I need to have this document translated into Japanese to give to the city office. The city office actually told my girlfriend that you can just 'do it yourself'. This seems to easy. Is this right? Call me stupid, but how do you translate an original document with an original wet signature on it? Is it literally a case of typing it up and saying 'this is Japanese', seems a bit simple.

Im aware of translating services but they seem to be 30,000 yen plus for this document which seems crazy, but if i have to pay i will.

Thanks again,

David

They're the ones who process it....

Hi Mike,

Im not sure what you mean. The way the city office explained it to us seemed as if we have 2 options on what to do with the English documents they need. We can either have it translated by a professional or company, or we can 'do it ourselves'. I know the city office processes the document as part of the process to marry us.

I mean that the people who accept, process, and approve the documents have told you that you can translate the documents yourself and they will accept, process, and approve them.

Why would we have information saying they won't and why would you believe it if we did?

The people with the cookie jar said you can have a cookie. Have a cookie.

I can tell you exactly why i won't just take a cookie, and thats unfortunately because i simply do not trust them. Due to our working hours, we can only arrange and gather information by phone from them. Everyone we call the information not only changes, but then i find something new on the internet we need and we call back and they dont seem to know and just say they forgot. For example, just this morning I've find out we need two witnesses to sign my partners family registry document. Im not sure how long I can take this for to be honest.

When they say 'just do it yourself' referring to the translation of an official law-biding document I've spent a lot of money traveling to Tokyo to obtain and make, of course I'm going to question this Mike.

Then dig your wallet out and pay to have it done if it makes you feel better.

Translations of documents for citizenship application can be self-prepared. I can't imagine they would be more uptight for marriage documents.

Then dig your wallet out and pay to have it done if it makes you feel better.

Translations of documents for citizenship application can be self-prepared. I can't imagine they would be more uptight for marriage documents.

You're right. Its not as if self preparation of these documents is some kind of shady loop-hole either, the official governing bodies confirm you can do this themselves.

Just one more thing and sorry if my stupid is showing, but i can't wrap my head around translating documents with signatures. My document issued by the British Embassy will have a signature, actually mine and the person who sees me. Is a translation just a case of writing the document in Japanese on a new sheet? What about the signature part, just disregard this?

Whether you translate it or whether you pay someone to translate it, the result won't be an official document with genuine seals or signatures on it.... which is why it really doesn't matter who does it. The document that matters is the genuine official original document. All the translation is meant to be is a sort of walk-through guide to the original, created for the benefit of others.

Where there are signatures, indicate that in the translation. "signed by XYZ" or whatever.

Whether you translate it or whether you pay someone to translate it, the result won't be an official document with genuine seals or signatures on it.... which is why it really doesn't matter who does it. The document that matters is the genuine official original document. All the translation is meant to be is a sort of walk-through guide to the original, created for the benefit of others.

Where there are signatures, indicate that in the translation. "signed by XYZ" or whatever.

Wow really? This makes sense and I did wonder this. Im think I'm so familiar with UK laws where we have to have official certified documents i just got my processes confused.

Thanks for your time its appreciated.

My wife translated our documents to record our marriage at her city office. They just want to know what the documents you give them say.

My wife translated our documents to record our marriage at her city office. They just want to know what the documents you give them say.

My thought progression after reading this:

1. Man, I've been married so long I don't even remember what we did.

2. How the hell long have I been married anyway...

3. On, crap! Today's our anniversary!

Back
Top Bottom