What's new

Tokyo culture and LGBT peoples

Sabryna

後輩
7 Aug 2014
Hi !

I leave in France where French culture has a strong influence from psychoanalysis that leads to a strong discrimination against LGBT peoples. Even if, in Paris, LGBT peoples are quite accepted and have their own neighborhood, it is absolulty not the same outsite of Paris. There is a big difference between what French peoples say about LGBT peoples and how they really act.

I am wondering if, in Japan, or more exactly, in Tokyo, we can find the same discrimination against LGBT peoples or if Tokyo is more open to LGBT culture than most occidental countries ?

Thank you !

"Are quite accepted" and "have their own neighborhood" strike me as stark contradictions.....

Mike was formally adopted into a Ninja clan , bled dry and given Japanese blood in a ceremonial transfusion. He is now recognized and 99.9% Japanese. The big nose he refuses to get cropped keeps him from the 100% mark sorry to say.

Uncle Frank

Although there are many really nice members here , there are also many of us who are not 100% all there and severely lacking in many departments , LOL. If you stay here long enough , we could put you on staff as our resident shrink and do Skype analysis on us , be an interesting project for sure. Welcome to JREF by the way !

Uncle Frank

99.9% is not enough. There is a lack of something.

Did you only want replies from Japanese people? You should have said so in your post. I wasn't expecting to be discriminated against by a person apprehensive of acceptance. The irony is thick enough to cut with a knife.

It is not the topic indeed but these info can be included in the following.

My question is about the openness of japanese people to the overall LGBT culture and more precisely to gender questions. I have been told many times that in France, you have to look like, or to be from one side or the other side exactly, not somewhere "in-between". I guess it is unfortunetly right, unless you want to work in a circus. My hypothesis is that the way LGBT culture is perceived by a particular country's peoples tells a lot about how they consider themselves, the others and what we can expect from them in any kind of social relationship. From that point, there are many more questions to come.

As an example, I had a look at Uncle Frank's website and there are a few references to gay relationships in the japanese history, in the XIII century. This is interesting and maybe we can expect others conceptions, in Japan, of the "opposite" masculine/feminine than what we can find in Occident. It means that even if there are discriminations against LGBT people in Japan, the reasons of these discriminations could be different than in Occident.

Last edited:
even if there are discriminations against LGBT people in Japan, the reasons of these discriminations could be different than in Occident.
Yes I think that would be an obvious conclusion, no? You haven't mentioned the role of religion in any of your postings. Rather than any supposed influence from psychoanalysis, the role of religion in all kinds of discrimination is a factor worth looking into. Japan was not deeply influenced by any of the big three monotheistic religions, and so in Japan, there is no tradition of a heavenly injunction against homosexuality. It is not seen as a mortal sin.

But as has been commented ad nauseum, Japan is by-and-large a homogeneous country, and there is no history of celebrating the diversity of human existence. It is the country wherein originated the phrase "The nail that sticks out will get hammered down", and this has served as de-facto justification for discrimination against any minority. "Sticking out" is not a virtue in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom