What's new

the kanji of michi and horou

dajanacupic

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi! I have a two questions, and hopeful you can help me. First one, does the kanji michi means a path, in a spiritual way? And second one is about the kanji horou, which I found that means hollow or empty? I am confused about the second kanji because I can only find it on one kanji learning sites. Thanks!

lanthas

Reaction score
Michi (道) can be used for both physical and abstract paths/ways. It's used in words like 仏道 (butsudou: buddha + way = buddhism), 武道 (budou: weapon + way = martial arts) etc., but also 歩道 (hodou: walk + way = walkway) and 道路 (douro: street).

Can you give the actual kanji for "horou" instead of just the romanization? Are you sure they're not talking about the loanword ホロー which is derived from the English word?

lanthas

Reaction score
That would be , pronounced "uro". But the meaning is indeed "hollow".

dajanacupic

Kouhai
Reaction score
But its written with both of kanjies you have wrote?

lanthas

Reaction score
I just found that same page :). So indeed, "horou" is a valid reading - in a way - but specifically refers to demons in Bleach, not the general word "hollow".

But its written with both of kanjies you have wrote?
I'm not sure what you mean.

dajanacupic

Kouhai
Reaction score
Sorry, I lost myself there for a sec. I get you now, I just wanted to know if the kanji in the link means hollow. :)
Thanks

dajanacupic

Kouhai
Reaction score
I have only one more question here and I wont be such a pain in the *** haha! I found this kanji 空 here that actually means "void or emptiness" in a buddhist sence so Im just wondering if thats correct :)