What's new

The Japanese spouse and with a gaijin spouse

Definitely Japan has a ways to go in terms of progressive attitudes with regards to gender. If I'm not mistaken, it's still legally permissible to discriminate based on gender. (For example even in a job listing you can restrict it to a specific gender.)
And in recent news, Japan medical universities got busted for discriminating against women to reduce female admissions. I guess it's a positive thing that it's considered a big scandal. That may just be on the surface though. It will take a while for old attitudes to die.
Medical schools 'rigged women's results'

Definitely Japan has a ways to go in terms of progressive attitudes with regards to gender. If I'm not mistaken, it's still legally permissible to discriminate based on gender. (For example even in a job listing you can restrict it to a specific gender.)
And in recent news, Japan medical universities got busted for discriminating against women to reduce female admissions. I guess it's a positive thing that it's considered a big scandal. That may just be on the surface though. It will take a while for old attitudes to die.
Medical schools 'rigged women's results'

True, but I'm sure things will be sorted out.

On daycare the wait list can be really terrible in some places. Many of the housewives I knew (wife's friends) did go back to work after a year or two. My wife does not want to work. I have heard of discrimination against women, against pregnant women more so, and even age which is why it's hard for a guy in his 50s to find another good job sometimes.

On daycare the wait list can be really terrible in some places. Many of the housewives I knew (wife's friends) did go back to work after a year or two. My wife does not want to work. I have heard of discrimination against women, against pregnant women more so, and even age which is why it's hard for a guy in his 50s to find another good job sometimes.

It is tough to find another job in Japan after the age of 40 actually. Although now I see 7-11 stores hiring people older then 40, they don't seem to last very long. It's actually hard work working at them 7-11's.
Daycare is something that the Japanese govt. is working on. One of the most problems associated with daycare is the lack of people to work for one. Also the working hours are not the most enjoyable ones. Probably will need to import workers for the daycare business soon.

Daughter who has one kid already (who is in daycare, Kanagawa) wants to spend some time here at home (Ishikawa) after her second arrives. I began talking about private daycare for the first kid, since it's not practical to switch her residence to here for a short time and then back.

My wife shut this down saying there wasn't any, since everyone here gets into the gov't approved/subsidized daycare. No market/demand for a private version. While the downside is that something short-term is not available, I guess there are some "pros" to living in the provinces. They didn't have any problem getting their first kid in (Odawara area), the 2nd will likely go to the same place.

Yea finding a job after 40 is not impossible but is perhaps one of the reasons I am working in the US (or so my wife says) plus the larger salary in America for the same (or less) work. My wife found she liked the more laid back culture here not having to deal with boss mama's or other expectations. I do wonder what will happen when her parents become infirm, at least there are a dozen houses around there with extended family.

Yea finding a job after 40 is not impossible but is perhaps one of the reasons I am working in the US (or so my wife says) plus the larger salary in America for the same (or less) work. My wife found she liked the more laid back culture here not having to deal with boss mama's or other expectations. I do wonder what will happen when her parents become infirm, at least there are a dozen houses around there with extended family.

salyavin, my experience with a Japanese wife who moved to America with me was this: She found the blue collar type of family boring as all h... in Illinois and that is a fact. So we moved to California and stayed there for 15 years. Her father past away and she and the daughter went Japan for a while. Then came back and decided to move back to assist her aging mother. I stayed in California until what business I had to take care of was done. (real estate stuff).
So I moved to (back, was stationed in Tokyo with the military) her home town.
I personally felt after all this time, it would have been better for us to have stayed in California, but I don't know.
I do know now that I'm collecting "nenkin" Japanese pension, its only about 330 USD (33000 yen) every 2 months. Sucks to old in Japan, but life is just the way it is. Between the wife and I we currently have 5 incomes coming in and debt free.
I'm on this forum because , well, my Japanese language skills are next to none. Sad in one way, but there's a story behind all this...
I'm just sharing my thoughts with you.
Happy New Year

Happy new year to you too. Impressive you are debt free. Were you far from Chicago? While not California or Tokyo it is a decent sized metropolitan area, admittedly I have never been to Illinois. My background is quite different, I worked for a major American IT company that has an office in Kyushuu so I had advantages most do not have. I have been "restructured" and ended up with a better job got laid off again and got yet a better job. I am embarrassed about my intermediate Japanese myself, a coworker from that era is highly advanced and interpreted for ANA for the state when working on flight deals and other such gigs I am not good enough for but should have been. I did see all 47 prefectures and dated a lot though (as so many of us do). My wife being from Kyushuu is perhaps easier to entertain than a big city girl. I do wonder about my wife's parents when they age, not sure what we'll end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom