What's new

The Japanese and hangovers

4 Apr 2014
I wonder what folk remedies for hangover are popular in Japan? By folk remedies i mean anything save for dedicated anti-hangover medication.
What would Japanese eat and drink the day after they had that one too many? Any other rituals or activities beside gastronomical ones?

Thanks for the reply, Toritoribe.
I'll stock up on dashi and miso paste just in case. Turmeric is usually around my kitchen anyway. As for shijimi - there's no way to get them in this part of the world.

There's a drink that one drinks before going out and getting plastered, maybe someone here knows it. Sold in Wants, Costmos and Mori's. About 250 yen for a few swigs of it.

@musicisgood , such drinks won't do for my study. It is implied that one never has an intention of drinking to the point of having a hangover next day. So in this case it's preferable to have miso soup around just in case, than buying such anti-hangover beverages every time before going out for a drink.

ukon.jpg

I always thought this ^^ was the holy grail, in conjunction with some aspirin.

Ukon is supposed to be good. Apparently you drink it before you start boozing, to line the stomach and cushion you from the alcohol. Though I'd have thought you might need a few of them if you're going to be drinking a lot.

To pre-empt hangovers, I find drinking cocktails mixed with plenty of fruit juice is good, vodka orange and the like. The hangovers usually aren't so bad, I guess because of the extra vitamins. Green tea and fresh juicy fruit the next day, like Japanese nashi (pears), has worked for me in the past too.

Back
Top Bottom