What's new

The hieroglyph that stands for "ikameshii"

KlyntEestwud

Registered
5 Mar 2015
Hello!
I'm an absolute newbie here.
Can you, please, tell me what hieroglyph stands for "ikameshii" which in my case means "dreadful". I also would like to know if it is correct and not insulting to Japanese people to use a transcripted english word (ikameshii) in written form, in a case if I, say, want to name a song like that? Or should I use a proper hieroglyph?
If it is ok to use a transcription, should it start with a capital or a block-letter? I ask this because in all japanese dictionaries I see words starting only with block-letters.
I repeat, I'm a total noob in Japanese. Please, forgive my ignorance.

Thank you!

Japanese doesn't use "hieroglyphs", it uses "kanji" which literally translated means simply "Chinese characters".

To find out the character(s) used to write this word, you can simply type "ikameshii" into a dictionary like jisho.org - it will show you the correct way of writing it in Japanese, and of course the translation.

In Japan, our Latin characters are pretty much never used for writing Japanese - only for foreign words and names. So if you want to write to Japanese people, it would be adviseable to learn at least the two kana writing systems (hiragana/katakana) as early as possible. They're easy to learn to read and write - it shouldn't take much difficulty or time.

You may freely write it any way you wish; you won't offend anyone.

In Japanese characters:

厳めしい

I'm so grateful for your help!
Can you, please, tell me what is the best way to learn hiragana/katakana systems?

I'm so grateful for your help!
Can you, please, tell me what is the best way to learn hiragana/katakana systems?

Do you only want to learn the characters? Search online for a chart.

Do you want to learn the language? Take a class or at least buy a textbook.

Back
Top Bottom