What's new

The exam for Class 3-7 "Expression-Communication Class"

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
I've been grateful to you all.

Here is the last exam I've made this time. I'd appreciate it if you could check it for me.

1 ( )に一語ずつ入れて、日本語の意味に合う英文を作りなさい。短縮形も一語と
します。 完全解答 一問1点 計20点
(1)この川は、淀川よりもずっと川幅が広い。
This river is ( )( )( ) the Yodo River.

(2)彼は、日本語ではなく英語で話した。
He didn't talk ( ) Japanese, ( ) in English.

(3)ゆうべのパーティは楽しかったですか。
( ) you enjoy ( ) at the party last night?

(4)明日雪が降れば、私は家にいる。
If ( )( ) tomorrow, I'll ( ) home.

(5)君か僕のどちらかが彼の事務所に行かなくてはならない。
( ) you ( ) I ( ) to go to his office.

(6)池にはほとんど水が残っていない
There ( )( )( ) left in the pond.

(7)メアリーが到着するまで私はここにいます。
I'll ( ) here ( ) Mary ( ) .

(8)私の息子は、身長が約90cmです。
My son is ( ) 90 ( )( ).

(9)チーターは地球上で最も足が速い動物だ。
Cheetahs are ( )( ) animals ( ) earth.

(10)冗談でしょ。
You ( )( ) joking.

(11)彼が言っていることは正しい。
( ) he is saying ( ) right.

(12)私はとてもおなかがすいていたので走れなかった。
I was ( )( ) to ( ).

(13)私はとてもおなかがすいているので走れない。
I am ( )( ) that I ( ) run.

(14)私はできるだけ速く走った。
I ( )( ) fast ( ) possible.

(15)たとえあなたが私と一緒に行かなくても、私は一人でアメリカに行く。
( ) if you don't go ( ) me, I'll go ( ) America alone.

(16)君に手伝ってほしい。
I want ( )( )( ) me.

(17)冷蔵庫にはほとんど卵がなかった。
There ( )( )( ) in the refrigerator.

(18)この棒は長さ3mです。
This pole ( ) three ( )( ).

(19)私は、はじめて鯨を見た。
I saw a whale ( ) the first ( ).

(20)ドアの鍵をかけたかどうか思い出せない。
I can't ( )( ) I locked the door.

2 下線部にあてはまる日本語を書き入れ、英文の和訳を完成しなさい。2×5 = 10点
(1)There is a special kind of ball point pen created by a Japanese stationery company.
日本の ボールペンがあります。

(2)In the early 20th century, the capital of Japan sent us thousands of cherry trees.
20 に、日本の首都が、私たちに の桜の木を 。

(3)Early Romans gave gold rings as a symbol of trust between two people.
古代ローマ人は、 金の指輪を渡した。

(4)Ever since a robot won a game against the human chess champion, I've been worrying about it.
ロボットが 、僕はそれを心配している。

(5)Many American soldiers had been staying at this hotel for seven years before they left Japan.
Japan. 多くのアメリカ人兵士が、 このホテルに滞在した。

3 日本語の意味になるように、( )に一語ずつ入れなさい。 完全解答 各1点 計10点
(1)この雑誌は十代の人に人気がある。This magazine is ( )( ) teens.
(2)ベスはチェスに興味があるそうだ。 I ( ) Beth is ( )( ) chess.
(3)私は一度もパンダを見たことがない。I ( )( )( ) pandas.
(4)祖母は先週から具合が悪くて寝ています。
My grandmother ( )( ) sick ( ) bed since last week.
(5)太陽は東から上る。
The ( )( )( ) the east.
(6)明日、おじが私の家に来る。My uncle is ( )( ) my house tomorrow.
(7)このお寺は美しい庭園で有名だ。
This temple is ( )( ) its beautiful garden.
(8)私の新しい自転車をトムに見せた。 I ( ) my new bike ( ) Tom.
(9) 数分前に電話があった。
There ( ) a phone call a ( ) minutes ( ).
(10)このペンは消せるインクを使っている。
This pen uses the ink ( )( )( ) erased.

4 下線部には2語、( )には1語ずつ英語を入れ、日本語に合う英文を完成しなさい。
完全解答 1×10 = 10 点
(1)彼らは普通のボールペンで間違えると困ってしまう。
When they make with a regular ballpoint pen, they are .
(2)私は、日本で満開の桜がとても見たかった。
I really wanted cherry blossoms in ( ) bloom in Japan.
(3)今日のアメリカの結婚式では、ケーキの代わりに生の米が使われることがあります。
At some American weddings, uncooked rice instead ( ) cake.
(4)ロボットはすでに人間から多くの仕事を取ってしまった。
Robots taken many jobs from ( ).
(5)様々なやり方を試したあと、彼は、最後に「スパゲッティ・ナポリタン」と呼ばれる料理を創作した。
After ( ) various ways, he created a dish called "Spaghetti Napolitan".

This is all.

Hirashin

- For 1 (7), to me it seems that either 'be' or 'stay' in the first blank are suitable translations of the Japanese text. Also, I would say that either 'comes' or 'arrives' are suitable for the final blank.

- There seems to be a major problem with 1 (15). If you fill in the blanks with (Even) (with) (to), the grammar is very poor. "I" can only go alone in the case that "you" doesn't go. If "you" goes with "I", then "I' is not alone. Does the Japanese version sound OK? I would have assumed that the grammar of the Japanese version is also bad. If the Japanese version is OK, then this is an example where a 直訳 translation can not be made. I recommend completely revising this problem.

- In 2 (2) I would have written 'Japanese capital' instead of 'capital of Japan'. What you wrote is OK, though.

- 3 (10) sounds better to me without "the". Using "the" implies that you expect your audience to understand exactly which ink you are speaking about. (For example, because it is something that you already spoke about to that person.) If you want to use "the", it is OK, but it sounds better without.

- Also, in the same question, either "which" or "that" sound OK to me for the first blank. Strictly speaking, "that" is the best answer, but "which" probably sounds OK to most native speakers, so I would recommend also accepting it as a correct answer.

- For 4 (1), I am not sure which two words you have in mind for the final 下線部. "in trouble"? If you let me know which two words you intend, I can tell you if it is OK. 困っている is often difficult to cleanly translate into English, so you may be better off choosing a different question for your test.

- For 4 (5), I am not sure which words you have in mind for the ( ) or 下線部. Is 'trying' the word you intend for the ( )? "trying various ways" sounds a little strange to me in this context, but is OK, I guess. If you let me know which two words you intend for the 下線部, I can tell you if it is OK.

Thank you, joadbres, for your careful proofreading. (I hope this makes sense)
(5)君か僕のどちらかが彼の事務所に行かなくてはならない。
( ) you ( ) I ( ) to go to his office.

For 1 (4), how about this?
If it snows tomorrow, I'll be home.

I've changed it into this:
(5)ボブかメグのどちらかが、明日僕の事務所に来る。
( ) Bob ( ) Meg ( ) come to my office tomorrow.
The intended answer:
(Either) Bob (or) Meg (will) come to my office tomorrow.

For 1 (7), I've chaned into
(7)メアリーが来るまで私はここにいます。

The intended answer:
I'll (be/stay) here (until/till) Mary (comes/arrives).

- In 2 (2) I would have written 'Japanese capital' instead of 'capital of Japan'. What you wrote is OK, though.
The sentence is from the textbook. So I'll keep it as it is.

I've replaced 1 (15) into this one. Does it sound OK?
1 (15)たとえあなたがタクシーで行ったとしても、間に合わないでしょう。
( )( ) you take a taxi, you won't be in time.

I've deleted "the" from 3 (10).
(10)このペンは消せるインクを使っている。
This pen uses ink ( )( )( ) erased.
The answer can be:
This pen uses ink (that/which)(can)(be) erased.

All the sentences in Question 4 are from the textbook. The original sentences go like this:
4 (1) When they make a mistake with a regular ballpoint pen, they are in trouble.
[The whole paragraph including this sentence]
The pen was first sold in France in 2006. People there usually use ballpoint pens,
even in class. When they make a mistake with a regular ballpoint pen, they are in
trouble. So the Japanese pen soon got a large share of the French market. A student
in Paris said, "With this pen, you can erase the things you've written many times. It's
fantastic!"

4 (5) After trying various ways, he at last created a dish he called "Spaghetti Napolitan".
[The whole paragraph including this sentence]
During their stay, Shigetada Irie, the chef of its main restaurant, learned that spaghetti
with ketchup was popular with them. Then, Irie decided to invent a new dish like their
favorite spaghetti. After trying various ways, he at last created a dish he called "Spaghetti
Napolitan". Irie didn't want to use ketchup in his sause because he was a respected chef
who had studied classical French and Italian cooking. He used canned tomato puree
instead, added garlic and bacon, and then mushrooms and fresh vegetables.

Do you think my questions don't make sense?

Last edited:
For 1 (4), how about this?
If it snows tomorrow, I'll be home.

"stay" is a much better answer than "be" for placing in the final blank of that question. In the context of that sentence, saying "I'll be at home" is more natural than saying "I'll be home". On the Japanese ✖△〇◎ scale, I would rate filling that final blank with "be" as △. I would mark that answer as incorrect, but if you have already taught that it is OK, and you want to accept it as correct, it is OK to do so, I think.

I've changed it into this:
(5)ボブかメグのどちらかが、明日僕の事務所に来る。
( ) Bob ( ) Meg ( ) come to my office tomorrow.
The intended answer:
(Either) Bob (or) Meg (will) come to my office tomorrow.

This is fine.

For 1 (7), I've chaned into
(7)メアリーが来るまで私はここにいます。

The intended answer:
I'll (be/stay) here (until/till) Mary (comes/arrives).

This is fine.

I've replaced 1 (15) into this one. Does it sound OK?
1 (15)たとえあなたがタクシーで行ったとしても、間に合わないでしょう。
( )( ) you take a taxi, you won't be in time.

This is OK. "you won't arrive in time" and "you won't be on time" are slightly more natural ways to end the sentence.

4 (1) When they make a mistake with a regular ballpoint pen, they are in trouble.

"in trouble" was my best guess as to the correct answer, as I wrote in my previous comment to you. It doesn't sound 100% natural to me, but it is good enough, and the students have already studied this sentence, so it is fine to leave 4 (1) as it is.

4 (5) After trying various ways, he at last created a dish he called "Spaghetti Napolitan".

I would have translated "at last" in this sentence as something like やっと, ようやく, 遂に, or perhaps あげく. 最後に does not seem like a good translation to me. Because this is unclear, I recommend changing this question to something else. How about this?

During their stay, Shigetada Irie, the chef of its main restaurant, ( ) that spaghetti
with ketchup ______________ with them.

Thanks, joadbres.
"stay" is a much better answer than "be" for placing in the final blank of that question. In the context of that sentence, saying "I'll be at home" is more natural than saying "I'll be home". On the Japanese ✖△〇◎ scale, I would rate filling that final blank with "be" as △. I would mark that answer as incorrect, but if you have already taught that it is OK, and you want to accept it as correct, it is OK to do so, I think.
No, I didn't say anything about this one. I asked this because some students might answer as "be". I'll consider it as incorrect.
This is OK. "you won't arrive in time" and "you won't be on time" are slightly more natural ways to end the sentence.
OK, I'll change this one into "you won't arrive in time." It's really hard for me to tell the difference between "in time" and "on time". Do you also say "you won't arrive on time" ?
"in trouble" was my best guess as to the correct answer, as I wrote in my previous comment to you. It doesn't sound 100% natural to me, but it is good enough, and the students have already studied this sentence, so it is fine to leave 4 (1) as it is.
Do you mean that the writer of this passage is not a native English speaker?
I would have translated "at last" in this sentence as something like やっと, ようやく, 遂に, or perhaps あげく. 最後に does not seem like a good translation to me. Because this is unclear, I recommend changing this question to something else. How about this?

During their stay, Shigetada Irie, the chef of its main restaurant, ( ) that spaghetti
with ketchup ______________ with them.

Would only changing 最期に into ついに not work here? What's in the second blank in your version? I guess the first blank should be "created".

It's really hard for me to tell the difference between "in time" and "on time". Do you also say "you won't arrive on time" ?

I don't think that there is a strict rule, but often, we say "in time for <event>", meaning arriving at a time by which you are able to participate in an event; and just "on time" (with nothing after it), meaning arriving at the time you are expecting to arrive.

"you won't arrive on time" is also OK, and, in fact, is probably the best phrase to use in your question, although "you won't arrive in time" is also OK.

Do you mean that the writer of this passage is not a native English speaker?

To me, the textbook passages you provided feel like something written by a non-native speaker and checked by a native speaker. However, sometimes when writing content for a textbook for students learning a second language, it is necessary to write somewhat unnaturally to avoid using expressions that, while natural, are too difficult for the level of the students. In other words, the English is simplified and because of that sounds a little unnatural.

I don't think it is harmful for your students to learn English by studying these passages, but you need to be careful when using it to test their English ability, as I allude to in my following comment.

Would only changing 最期に into ついに not work here? What's in the second blank in your version? I guess the first blank should be "created".

I am a native speaker of English, and it was difficult for me to determine what two words you were expecting to be placed in the final blank of 4 (5). Even if you had written ついに, I probably still would have had trouble. I think this is in part because the English sentence is awkwardly worded. For that reason, I do not think that this is such a good test question. However, it is not unfair, as your students have studied the text, so if you want to keep it as is, that is OK.

I think that my suggested question provides a better test of the understanding of the students of how to use English than yours does, but I don't mind if you do not want to use it. Of course, if you were to use it you would have to provide a full Japanese translation, too, as part of the question.

I am surprised that you do not know the answers to my question, given that I took the text directly from the textbook passage that you provided. The first blank is "learned", and the second is "was popular".

Thanks, joadbres, for the plenty of useful comments. (Am I saying it right?)

However, it is not unfair, as your students have studied the text, so if you want to keep it as is, that is OK.

I'll keep it because my students should know "at last" as ついに, which is given in
the whole translation I gave them.
I am surprised that you do not know the answers to my question, given that I took the text directly from the textbook passage that you provided. The first blank is "learned", and the second is "was popular".
I didn't notice that you made that question from the text. Sorry.

I'm too tired to think clearly.

I've been grateful to you all.

Hirashin,

Another correction.

The sentence "I've been grateful to you all." has the feeling that the help or the gratefulness may be coming to an end. It might be better to say "I'm grateful to all of you for your continuing help."

Thanks for the correction again, Buntaro.
Whenever I write English, I make some mistakes. It's really hard for me to write or speak correct English. I wish I could live without teaching the language I'm not confident with.

Back
Top Bottom