What's new

The exam for Class 2-1

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
Here is the exam for Class 2-1 (Only my part).

次の文を読み、あとの問いに答えなさい。

TFT does more than just provide children ( あ ) hot, healthy meals. As school lunches are given ( い ) them, the children no longer have to prepare a meal to take ( う ) school. This has encouraged more children to go to school. After attending classes regularly, many realize the joy of learning and want to study more. (1)[ (a)number (b)go on (c)students (d)of (e)the (f)to (g)who ] junior high school has [①rise] ( え ) a result.
TFT also benefits people in developed countries ( お ) giving them a convenient way to help global society. Many people would like to do something to improve the
( A ) of the poor, but are just too busy. Giving twenty yen to TFT is an easy and effective way to ( か ) a contribution.
Chefs working on the TFT project want to create healthy menus. They are glad to know that they are improving the health of people in Japan ( か ) well as the lives of children in Africa. One chef said, "My job is to bring smiles to the faces of African kids. If I succeed ( き ) doing that, I feel happy and [②satisfy]." This sense of purpose is typical of people on the project.

Table for Two is now expanding its activities. In one recent program, university students tried to spread the TFT idea to as many school cafeterias as possible. They also worked hard to introduce the project to shops and restaurants in the neighborhood.
TFT was started in Japan but now has a number of offices abroad. The first was established in New York in 2008, and it began ( B ) one year later. "We wanted to work in the U.S. because it is a major developed country ( く ) overeating is a common problem," says Kogure. He adds that he welcomes the ( C ) of working in a country ( け ) a lot of experience in this kind of field.
There is an English saying that goes, "You are what you eat." This means that the food we eat builds both body and mind. TFT staff (2)[(a) this (b) absolutely true (c)have (d)to (e)be (f)found ]. They feel that hot school lunches not only help make children healthier but also help make their ( D ) to life more positive. When schoolchildren have hot lunches, they begin to speak of their dreams for the future. Some want to become teachers ; ( こ ) want to be nurses or doctors. If TFT can make these dreams a reality, that will be its greatest ( E ) to human society.

1. (あ)~(こ)に入る適切な語をそれぞれ下の選択肢から選び、記号で答えなさい。
(あ)(a)in (b)on (c)for (d)with
(い)(a)to (b)in (c)on (d)for
(う)(a)to (b)in (c)on (d)for
(え)(a)with (b)as (c)for (d)on
(お)(a)with (b)as (c)by (d)for
(か)(a)take (b)make (c)do (d)give
(き)(a)in (b)to (c)for (d)with
(く)(a)which (b)that (c)where (d)when
(け)(a)in (b)on (c)for (d)with
(こ)(a)another (b)the other (c)other (d)others

2. (A)~(E)に入る適切な語を下から選び、記号で書きなさい。ただし、同じ記号を2回
以上選ばないこと。
(a)operations (b)challenge (c)contribution (d)attitude (e)problem (f)condition

3. ①、②の語を正しい形で書きなさい。

4. 下線部(1)および(2)の[ ]の中の語を意味の通る語順に並び替えたとき、3番目と5番目に来る語句を記号で答えなさい。

5. 次の文の中から、本文の内容に合っているものを2つ選び、記号で答えなさい。
(a) TFT not only provided hot, healthy meals for children but also encouraged them to go to school.
(b) Some TFT members visited Africa to encourage the children to go to school.
(c) People in developed countries usually don't like to make a contribution to the poor.
(d) The activities of TFT's New York office were started in 2009.
(e) Kogure wanted to work in America because he thought he could make a lot of money there.
(f) "You are what you eat" means "you can eat anything you want".

Hirashin

I'll correct two mistakes. The second か should be deleted and put "as" in the place.
they are improving the health of people in Japan ( か ) well as the lives of children in Africa.

they are improving the health of people in Japan as well as the lives of children in Africa.

5(f)
"you can eat anything you want".

"you can eat anything you want."

Last edited:
Hirashin, if possible it might be a good idea to write these questions with the choice of answer in the spaces in the text, otherwise it can take a long time and is a bit of a headache (which I've got now!) to keep scrolling up and down to look at what the question was, match it with the answers, try to remember what the possible answers were when you scroll back up....

Ah, I see. I'm sorry, Michael2.

Here's the corrected version. Would you please check it? Especially I'd appreciate it if you could check my sentences in No.5.

TFT does more than just provide children (あ)[(a)in (b)on (c)for (d)with] hot, healthy meals. As school lunches are given (い)[(a)to (b)in (c)on (d)for] them, the children no longer have to prepare a meal to take (う)[(a)to (b)in (c)on (d)] for school. This has encouraged more children to go to school. After attending classes regularly, many realize the joy of learning and want to study more. (1)[ (a)number (b)go on (c)students (d)of (e)the (f)to (g)who ] junior high school has [①rise] (え)[(a)with (b)as (c)for (d)on] a result.
TFT also benefits people in developed countries (お)[(a)with (b)as (c)by (d)for] giving them a convenient way to help global society. Many people would like to do something to improve the ( A ) of the poor, but are just too busy. Giving twenty yen to TFT is an easy and effective way to (か)[(a)take (b)make (c)do (d)give ] a contribution.
Chefs working on the TFT project want to create healthy menus. They are glad to know that they are improving the health of people in Japan as well as the lives of children in Africa. One chef said, "My job is to bring smiles to the faces of African kids. If I succeed (き)[(a)in (b)to (c)for (d)with ] doing that, I feel happy and [②satisfy]." This sense of purpose is typical of people on the project.

Table for Two is now expanding its activities. In one recent program, university students tried to spread the TFT idea to as many school cafeterias as possible. They also worked hard to introduce the project to shops and restaurants in the neighborhood.
TFT was started in Japan but now has a number of offices abroad. The first was established in New York in 2008, and it began ( B ) one year later. "We wanted to work in the U.S. because it is a major developed country (く)[(a)which (b)that (c)where (d)when ] overeating is a common problem," says Kogure. He adds that he welcomes the ( C ) of working in a country (け)[(a)in (b)on (c)for (d)with ] a lot of experience in this kind of field.
There is an English saying that goes, "You are what you eat." This means that the food we eat builds both body and mind. TFT staff (2)[(a) this (b) absolutely true (c)have (d)to (e)be (f)found ]. They feel that hot school lunches not only help make children healthier but also help make their ( D ) to life more positive. When schoolchildren have hot lunches, they begin to speak of their dreams for the future. Some want to become teachers ; (こ)[(a)another (b)the other (c)other (d)others ] want to be nurses or doctors. If TFT can make these dreams a reality, that will be its greatest ( E ) to human society.

1. (あ)~(こ)に入る適切な語をそれぞれの選択肢から選び、記号で答えなさい。
2. (A)~(E)に入る適切な語を下から選び、記号で書きなさい。ただし、同じ記号を2回以上選ばないこと。
(a)operations (b)challenge (c)contribution (d)attitude (e)problem (f)condition
3. ①、②の語を正しい形で書きなさい。
4. 下線部(1)および(2)の[ ]の中の語を意味の通る語順に並び替えたとき、3番目と5番目に来る語句を記号で答えなさい。
5. 次の文の中から、本文の内容に合っているものを2つ選び、記号で答えなさい。
(a) TFT not only provided hot, healthy meals for children but also encouraged them to go to school.
(b) Some TFT members visited Africa to encourage the children to go to school.
(c) People in developed countries usually don't like to make a contribution to the poor.
(d) The activities of TFT's New York office were started in 2009.
(e) Kogure wanted to work in America because he thought he could make a lot of money there.
(f) "You are what you eat" means "you can eat anything you want".

Hirashin

I think all the basic answers are fine with what I expect you think the answers to be, but I'm not sure what you are expecting the answers for 5 to be. (a) and (c)?

Thanks for the help, Michael2.
I think all the basic answers are fine with what I expect you think the answers to be, but I'm not sure what you are expecting the answers for 5 to be. (a) and (c)?
No. (a) and (d).
TFT was started in Japan but now has a number of offices abroad. The first was established in New York in 2008, and it began ( B = operations ) one year later.
I think that their activities in NY were started in 2009. Am I wrong?

Hi Hirashin, tbh I missed the part about one year later, but I think it's too ambiguous to say they only started activities in 2009. With "operations", and in context in the text, you can understand that they established the office in 2008 but only started helping Africa in 2009, but purely saying "activities" I don't think is enough to isolate in meaning their work with Africa. They were presumably "active" in setting up the office from 2008 to 2009 so those could be considered "activities".

TFT New York didn't work in Africa. They only worked inside the U.S.

Then how should I change the sentence so that it will have a clear meaning?

Surely the work, or effect, in Africa is the crucial point. If they were only working in the US then it makes even less sense to say the office was set up in 2008 but only started operations in 2009. What was it doing from 2008 to 2009 then?
You could just change the question to "The first American office was established in 2008"

If it were "The first American office was established in 2008", it would become a little too easy.
The TFT NY office was set up in 2008, but they didn't begin operations probably because they needed time until they could serve healthy meals to American people in the restaurants there. That means their activities didn't begin until 2009, doesn't it?

I think you would normally say "TFT's New York Office became fully operational in 2009" Like I said before, some "activities" must have been taking place before 2009 so that would be ambiguous.

Then how about this?
TFT New York office began to work in 2009.

Actually, I don't understand what "operations" exactly means here. What do you think was started in 2009?

Last edited:
The sentence I wrote above is what I would use, or "The office became operational/started operating in 2009". "operate" is what I would use to describe the active process of a company, probably what you understand by "activities" but I would say "activities" is too general for that answer to be wrong. I think from 2008 to 2009 they were setting the office up, i.e getting everything ready, then actually started their meal services in 2009.

Then, if the choice is "TFT New York started their meal services in 2009", it can be correct. Am I right?

Yes I think that would be fine. Tbh I don't really understand how the TFT system works, which adds to the confusion!

Michael2, the passages I've given this time are the second half of Lesson 3. Here's the first half, which was part of the mid-term exam.

Lesson 3 Table for Two-Helping Others as You Eat

How can those with plenty of food help those who don't have enough? Some people in Japan came up with a simple but very effective answer to that question.

-1-
According to the United Nations, more than 900 million people worldwide are thought to have too little food. Most of these people live in developing countries, where many jobs are poorly paid. People with such jobs often cannot buy enough food for themselves or their families to eat. On the other hand, a large number of people in developed countries, which include Japan and the U.S., suffer from health problems caused by eating too much.
A Japanese project known as "Table for Two" (TFT) is trying to help solve these problems. The name is meant to suggest that a person in a developed country and a person in a developing country can eat at the same virtual table. In Japan, you can order a meal recognized as healthy by TFT. Twenty yen extra is taken for every such meal. This money is sent to countries like Ethiopia, Uganda, and Malawi, where it is used to pay for healthy school lunches. In this way, TFT encourages healthy eating here in Japan and provides good meals for schoolchildren in distant countries.
-2-
The TFT project was started in the cafeterias of six Japanese companies in 2007. The people who set up the project decided that just twenty yen was enough to cover the cost of one school lunch in a developing country. One of them, Kogure Masahisa, says that this small gift can connect us to poor people living in countries far away. "Giving twenty yen shows that we are responsible citizens of the world," he says.
The school lunches TFT provides are both hot and healthy. Cooked meals made with cornflour, beans, and vegetables are served regularly. If this service were stopped, the children would just eat uncooked food such as bananas or tomatoes. This is not to say that bananas and tomatoes are not healthy-of course, they are. However, cooking food adds flavor to it and makes it tastier.
By the end of 2008, more than one hundred companies, universities, and hospitals had joined the TFT project. Now, food and drink items that TFT considers healthy are being offered by cafés, convenience stores, and even vending machines. In total, TFT had been able to provide over thirty-five million meals as of September 2015. The number has continued to grow rapidly.

Last edited:
I altered some choices. What do you think?
(b) Some TFT members visited Africa to encourage the children there to go to school.
(c) People in developed countries don't like to make a contribution to the poor.
(d) TFT New York started their services in 2009.
(f) "You are what you eat" means "you can eat anything you want."
(g) TFT gives African students a convenient way to make a contribution to global society.

Back
Top Bottom